The problem is that I love the idea of mothers' day. I love the idea of days that you just decide are going to be special because you want them to be, so you celebrate just for the hell of it. I love making "adventures" out of routine things, makes them more fun. And I love doing little things to try to remind someone how special they are to me. I am not saying that I'm all that good at any of this, but I totally enjoy trying.
And so mothers day sucks for me because I am not married to someone who feels similarly. Last year, my first mothers day was horrible. I still get really mad when I think about it. As you might imagine, I am starting to feel bad about the impending anniversary on Sunday. I just don't want to be reminded about last year.
I have gotten the cards and gift for my mother-in-law, and I already mailed off things for my mom and my sister (as this is her first double-mothers-day what with her new baby). I wrapped my MIL's present and signed the cards last night because I knew I would be too angry doing it on Saturday. Angry, it sounds horrible to say it. But I just kind of wish that someone would do something for me this one day.
I used to care a lot about my birthday, but that totally doesn't matter to me these day. What means a lot to me, what I cherish the absolute most, is getting to be M's mama. And so I want to celebrate that, and it would mean the world to me if someone else (i.e., my husband) would participate in celebrating this thing that means the world to me.
But we will likely go to see his mother and she'll act flat, in her usual manner, and not be appreciative because she is so damn practical about everything. She likes to brag about giving you a recycled gift. For example, for my 40th birthday she sent me a pink silk scarf. I thought it was really sweet and made a point of wearing it next time I saw her, when she promptly told me that someone had given to her years ago and she never liked it so she decided to give it to me. Oh, and for her granddaughter's high school graduation gift? a watch she got for free from a catalog for spending over $40. And she told her granddaughter, bragging that the watch is worth $40 and she got it for free... I don't mind the idea of free watches or recycled scarves, but YOU DON'T TELL THE PERSON! She just doesn't get that it totally demeans the gift.
So I'm likely going to go spend Sunday morning sitting on the floor at my MIL's apartment, trying to keep my one year old away from the little bird figurines on the coffee table while my husband goes through bills with his mom or fixes something around her apartment. Then I'll have to figure out how to get him to leave when it gets too close to M's nap time, because he'd never watch the clock and initiate our need to leave so that his daughter stays on the schedule that works so well for her. We'll come home late so she'll be too hungry and tired to either eat lunch or take a nap easily. I'll be the one who deals with that, which is stressful b/c I can't help but think "if only we could have left 30 minutes earlier". And then it will be the end of Sunday, and time to do the bed time routine and get everyone ready for the week. My second mothers day will be over, and it will be just like any other Sunday when I am the dutiful ignored daughter-in-law who's husband doesn't give a shit.
Can you say, "bad attitude"? I know, I really need to get over myself... I'll see what I can do. Helps to have vented a bit here. Thanks for listening.
Ugh! I also hate Mother's Day. I agree that I love the idea of setting up a special day to celebrate, "just because". But to me it doesn't feel special when everyone else in the country is doing something cheesily commercial on that day-- it feels like a hollow and token nod to conventionalism and commercialism to do anything at all, but it feels very "bah humbug" to do nothing.
ReplyDeleteI honestly can't imagine what it would be like to have a husband who was into that kind of stuff. The thought kinda creeps me out, actually. But I do think that men could put in a little more effort to do something "girly" ONCE IN A WHILE. Jeesh.
And it sounds like going to your MIL's would undo the "specialness" of any day. Ugh, you're screwed. Can you start drinking early??? Wishing you the fortitude to get through it.
I'm sorry. It makes sense that you want to celebrate the day when it means so much to you to be a mom and specifically to be M's Mom. I wish he were more conscientious and thoughtful about these things. Sending you a big "Happy Mother's Day!!!" greeting and hope your day is better than you think it will be.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. I vaguely remember last mothers day and remember how heartbreaking it was that he couldn't put a moment of effort into it. Can you manipulate the situation for leaving your MIL's at the very least? Start prodding him to leave 30 minutes sooner than you normally would so Mads stays on schedule? Happy Mothers Day, my friend!
ReplyDeleteI just went back to read your account of last year's Mother's Day--makes me very sad for you, though it's oddly reminiscent of a few MDs of my own. I'm with you in thinking that holidays and anniversaries of milestones are something to be grabbed onto; why NOT celebrate, whenever there's a cause for celebration? There's something so deadening, so closed-hearted, about your husband's AND my husband's attitude to these occasions. Having weathered seven years of disappointing Mother's Days (the worst was probably the one when I was suffering from morning sickness yet took my 3-yr-old out for pizza and playing at the park, while my husband ironed his shirts at home), I can only suggest two alternatives. One, have another heart-to-heart with him about what the day means to you, and give him one more chance to buck up. Two, celebrate the day in your OWN way, which may mean not going to MIL's house and taking M out for a day of fun. It will get easier every year, as your expectations diminish (yes, that sounds sad, but there it is). I have already announced that I am going to go to a coffee shop for a leisurely reading of the NYT + finishing some grading I have to do, then getting a pedicure. We may or may not do something as a family later in the day, and "as a family" may mean only me and the boys.
ReplyDeleteI was getting all het up reading your post. It's too close to my life, I'm afraid. I know it feels petty and immature but hell, one day a year. ONE!
ReplyDeleteI know its not the same as your family celebrating but ... HAPPY MOTHERS DAY !!! If I were there you would get breakfast in bed while I got lovely M ready for her Ma's special day.
You would have a massage and herbal soak at a lovely place here in town, then meet M and DH for lunch of champaign and strawberry's. Then a special play date in the park with all the other pampered ma's and then a show while I babysit.
Happy Mothers Day :-)))))
Oh no, I just wrote a big comment about what would happen if I was close by (involved having a super day tomorrow).
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that your DH is as clueless as mine. I agree with the PP. Let DH go to his mum and you and your wonderful little M celebrate your way.
That is what I'm gonna do!
You are such a thoughtful and generous person and I am so sorry that you are not on the receiving end of the sweet love and gifts you so readily give to others (including me, in the past, for which I will be forever grateful). Today I went for a Mother's Day afternoon tea with two women I know who are also motherless and childless. Maybe M is a little young this year, but next year, perhaps that could be a mother-daughter tradition for the two of you on Mother's Day? No boys allowed!
ReplyDeleteLove and a Happy Mother's Day to you...
Maddy
I'm so annoyed right now at my husband I can barely speak, and it is only 10am. Happy mothers day to me! In short, I hear you. Nmaybe next year I will fly out to visit and the 4 of us ( you, me and the kids) can go to lunch!
ReplyDeleteI'm so behind on my reading/commenting but I'm so with you on the whole Mother's Day bah humbug-ness. I got to sleep until 9:45 Mother's Day morning and that's where the festivities started and stopped. I got no card and I did laundry the night before so I wouldn't have to do it on Mother's Day because I knew DH wouldn't do it. We went shopping and bought toys for the baby, which in fine but it would be cool for the MOM to get something on MOTHER'S DAY. I'm just sayin.
ReplyDeleteI'm with one of the previous commenters, start a mother-daughter tradition, no boys allowed, or run off and do something for yourself by yourself. I just feel like the more we expect of them the more disappointed we'll be.