Friday, September 6, 2013

I disapprove of your style

I was recently at this going-away party for yet another awesome staff person leaving because of our admin reorg. Since this staff person worked for two departments (remember, we merged staffs the first time around a year ago), there were a handful of faculty from that other department there too.  This other department, just FYI, actually had a statement in their departmental self-report that my department was in a "race to the bottom" with them to steal all of their weaker students.

Really.

I'm not kidding.

They are very collegial.

I thought you all might enjoy an excerpt from a conversation I had with an old white dude professor (aka, OWDP) at that reception/party.

ME: oh, you worked for a while at *our top competitor school*? Did you like it? How did it differ from here?

OWDP:  blah, blah, blah ... oh, and the other part I also disliked was how all the women at that school were trying to look exactly the same.  They all dyed their hair all blonde and looked really faky, but, I mean you no offense... (As he very consciously looks at my head.)

ME:  (shrug my shoulders and pretend like I see no reason why I would be offended.)

What I wish I had said, "no worry, I don't care for your style either."

For what its worth, you'll be amused to learn that my hair is dyed brown to cover my gray.  I have no idea why he felt the need to insult my hair, other than that, I guess, he just didn't like my style.

I don't like his either, and I am not talking about his clothes or hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment