It's the dishes, I think, that are starting to get to me.
Dh left on Dec 1st for fieldwork and won't be back until the end of January. The end of my crazy semester was more crazy than I had anticipated, and it was so hard to keep my cool as a mama as I juggled it as a single parent. Every night, finally getting M to sleep, knowing I still had a lot of work facing me, but before I could tackle it I had to tackle the dishes.
Is it just me, or does going through the bedtime ritual make everyone else really sleepy too? I find it incredibly challenging to rev myself back up after putting M to bed at naptime and at bedtime. Oof.
M's daycare is out for two weeks over the holiday. I don't have any family here for the holidays, which in many ways is a stress-relief, but also means that it's just me and M, 24/7. And all of the dishes that that entails. Why do there have to be so many dishes?!
Before I go back to my housework, I want to tip my hat to those of you who single-parent all the time, and who always, every single night, do the bedtime routine and then turn around and do the dishes. It sounds trivial, but honestly, it's exhausting.
Happy holidays. Sorry I've been such an AWOL blogger this semester. I think my life will be better next semester, just once daycare opens again and I don't have to do the lunch dishes anymore.
Dh left on Dec 1st for fieldwork and won't be back until the end of January. The end of my crazy semester was more crazy than I had anticipated, and it was so hard to keep my cool as a mama as I juggled it as a single parent. Every night, finally getting M to sleep, knowing I still had a lot of work facing me, but before I could tackle it I had to tackle the dishes.
Is it just me, or does going through the bedtime ritual make everyone else really sleepy too? I find it incredibly challenging to rev myself back up after putting M to bed at naptime and at bedtime. Oof.
M's daycare is out for two weeks over the holiday. I don't have any family here for the holidays, which in many ways is a stress-relief, but also means that it's just me and M, 24/7. And all of the dishes that that entails. Why do there have to be so many dishes?!
Before I go back to my housework, I want to tip my hat to those of you who single-parent all the time, and who always, every single night, do the bedtime routine and then turn around and do the dishes. It sounds trivial, but honestly, it's exhausting.
Happy holidays. Sorry I've been such an AWOL blogger this semester. I think my life will be better next semester, just once daycare opens again and I don't have to do the lunch dishes anymore.
I know this is going to make me sound gross, but I slack on the dishes. There are nights I just leave them in the sink and then have a ton the next day. I am in the same boat as you; by the time the two younger are in bed I am very sleepy too, and it's really hard to get going to do the stupid dishes after a dinner for 5 people...
ReplyDeleteAnd I hear you on the exhausting holidays. I was at work yesterday (Monday) and here are some comments from the colleagues I ran into
Col1: "I am hiding from my kids."
Col 2 (at daycare at 5:30 pickup, visibly irritated, with two kids): "Today I had this one (points to older) with me at work all day, I didn't get any work done. These stupid holidays last too long." I told him I feel the same, but I sound like a really horrible person when I say these things.
We had some friends over the other night, they are both profs. We agreed that no holiday/vacation should be more than 3-4 days.