This has definitely been one of the tougher semester on record for me.
1) I taught a new class.
2) gave a big-deal public lecture in October that took me about 100 hours to prep
3) had an NSF grant proposal due in mid-November. In my field, we don't submit grants as often as in other disciplines. In fact, I tend to only have one major grant at a time, as I put a lot of time into the major project. I'll have little grants too, but those are usually to non-profits that require much, much less of a proposal.
4) my daughter's preschool teacher lost her shit and I suddenly, in early November, pulled my daughter out of the psycho's care. I found another school for her quickly, thankfully, but that was about three weeks of a lot of stress that was really not appreciated. M is much, much happier now. She was essentially terrified of her teacher, and terrified of going to school. 180 degree difference with her new school from minute one. What the hell was that woman doing to her? (I need to write it all up and submit my letter of complaint to the center director, but haven't had time yet...)
5) invited manuscript due tomorrow. I am not going to make the deadline.
Oh, and did I mention that Dh left for his fieldwork about 3 weeks ago? He'll be back in late January. I am single-parenting it.
Oh, and did I mention that my parents are coming for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Years? Oh yeah. And I'm going to a meeting in early January while they are here and can stay with M for a few nights while I'm away.
Last year was exhausting. The summer was exhausting. And right now? I am feeling beyond exhausted. Emotionally very, very spent.
In all my spare time I have been planning the 3 weeks with my parents, as I think things will go more smoothly if everyone knows what to expect day-to-day (kinda like my pre-schooler). My mom though had a very specific idea for what she wanted to do on Christmas Eve. About a month ago, I decided that I needed help with all the logistics. So, when they asked what they could do to help for the upcoming visit, I asked if she could figure out the restaurant she wants to go to that day (as she's got a genre & experience in mind but not a place). She said "no", that it'd be easier if I figured it out.
Ok, what is it about them asking, "can we help?" and my response, "yes, please, as I am feeling overwhelmed and busy?" that is appropriately answered with, "oh, no, its easier if you plan that."
You'll love the one today... they decided that they want to get a limo to take us from my house to a show we are going to go see (that I totally splurged to get tickets for) and then back home. Isn't that nice? Then I don't have to drive! But, then they said that if I can make all of the arrangements, they'll reimburse me the cost... this is definitely one of those days when I want to beat my head against the wall. I get SO tired of making plans and decisions and being responsible.
Anyway, no theme to this post. Just re-connecting. I miss you all and hope you are doing well!!!
I plan to drive everyone myself. I really don't have space in my head to plan a limo thing, especially with the carseat issue, elderly mother-in-law, etc.
1) I taught a new class.
2) gave a big-deal public lecture in October that took me about 100 hours to prep
3) had an NSF grant proposal due in mid-November. In my field, we don't submit grants as often as in other disciplines. In fact, I tend to only have one major grant at a time, as I put a lot of time into the major project. I'll have little grants too, but those are usually to non-profits that require much, much less of a proposal.
4) my daughter's preschool teacher lost her shit and I suddenly, in early November, pulled my daughter out of the psycho's care. I found another school for her quickly, thankfully, but that was about three weeks of a lot of stress that was really not appreciated. M is much, much happier now. She was essentially terrified of her teacher, and terrified of going to school. 180 degree difference with her new school from minute one. What the hell was that woman doing to her? (I need to write it all up and submit my letter of complaint to the center director, but haven't had time yet...)
5) invited manuscript due tomorrow. I am not going to make the deadline.
Oh, and did I mention that Dh left for his fieldwork about 3 weeks ago? He'll be back in late January. I am single-parenting it.
Oh, and did I mention that my parents are coming for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Years? Oh yeah. And I'm going to a meeting in early January while they are here and can stay with M for a few nights while I'm away.
Last year was exhausting. The summer was exhausting. And right now? I am feeling beyond exhausted. Emotionally very, very spent.
In all my spare time I have been planning the 3 weeks with my parents, as I think things will go more smoothly if everyone knows what to expect day-to-day (kinda like my pre-schooler). My mom though had a very specific idea for what she wanted to do on Christmas Eve. About a month ago, I decided that I needed help with all the logistics. So, when they asked what they could do to help for the upcoming visit, I asked if she could figure out the restaurant she wants to go to that day (as she's got a genre & experience in mind but not a place). She said "no", that it'd be easier if I figured it out.
Ok, what is it about them asking, "can we help?" and my response, "yes, please, as I am feeling overwhelmed and busy?" that is appropriately answered with, "oh, no, its easier if you plan that."
You'll love the one today... they decided that they want to get a limo to take us from my house to a show we are going to go see (that I totally splurged to get tickets for) and then back home. Isn't that nice? Then I don't have to drive! But, then they said that if I can make all of the arrangements, they'll reimburse me the cost... this is definitely one of those days when I want to beat my head against the wall. I get SO tired of making plans and decisions and being responsible.
Anyway, no theme to this post. Just re-connecting. I miss you all and hope you are doing well!!!
I plan to drive everyone myself. I really don't have space in my head to plan a limo thing, especially with the carseat issue, elderly mother-in-law, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment