Friday, March 2, 2012

bunny kisses

When I was growing up we'd rub noses and call it an eskimo kiss. In this day and age "eskimo" is kinda insensitive, and "inuit kiss" just doesn't roll off the tongue the same, plus I don't even know if they do kiss like that.

But the nose-rubbing is so cute that I had to teach it to Mads. So ever since she was a newborn I have been giving her "bunny kisses".

Every now and then over the last 4 months or so she would move her head back and forth and participate, but not always.

Until this past week. Now she is really into it. You can ask her for a bunny kiss and she totally starts it. Every day when I pick her up from day care she gives me bunny kisses and she's the one who'll initiate it. And she'll walk across the room and give a bunny kiss to her daddy when I ask.

The other day right after I'd arrived at her school to pick her up she was sitting in my lap. I asked if she could give her teacher a bunny kiss. Instead of getting up, she looks towards her teacher, tilts her head up a little and moves her nose back and forth. Yep, that, my friends, is the innovation of the air-bunny-kiss.

4 comments:

  1. Ha-HA! A budding socialite! I love it. I adore getting 'bunny' kisses when P initiates them-- although around here we call them eskimo kisses, because my dad is the one who started them with her, and I am not sure he's aware that the word has become non-PC. Anyways, I don't know any Inuits, so I'm not likely to insult someone directly. Where did the word 'eskimo' come from, anyways? I would google it if I had any inclination... personally, I like the myth of an arctic, nose-kissing race of people who live year-around in furnished houses made of blocks of ice.... too bad the myth was loosely based on actual people who can actually be offended...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet.

    We call those butterfly kisses. Or nose kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (and let's not forget the pet penguins-- the best part of being an 'eskimo'!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! Little M is such the social butterfly! So cute, and I am glad to hear you sounding better.

    ReplyDelete