Friday, August 24, 2012

drowning

Thanks so much for your comments re Maddy getting bitten by another kid in her class.  I esp needed to hear "it's a toddler thing".  I was feeling horrible about feeling like all little boys are horrible.  I know it isn't true logically but my emotions run so strong when it comes to my little girl... 

BTW, she's been wanting to read "hop on pop" every night, which she didn't really seem to be partial to before.  There is a page in there where a little boy is biting the tail of a cat, and Dr. Seuss writes something like "don't bite him!"  Maddy forcefully says, "no!" in agreement every time we get to this page.  I think the incident is in her head and she's still processing it.  But it makes me feel good to hear her say this; it seems like a good thing that she thinks the behavior is a bad thing and that the book helps reinforce this.

I don't know about you all but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed lately.  Not just at school, since the semester just started and we have so much new administrative crappola to deal with on top of teaching my big lecture course for the first time since Mads was born.  But I am also feeling really overwhelmed with the world at large. 

I am livid over Todd Akin's remarks.  Honestly, if someone is against abortion no matter what, I don't understand how they got to that mental place, but that's ok.  What I can't accept is that he thinks that women have some witchy secret mental power over getting pregnant.  WTF?  It's like jumping back into medieval times.  It's like the old practice of throwing accused witches into the water -- if they drowned they weren't a witch and if they swam, they were a witch and got burned at the stake.  So if you are raped and get pregnant, then you must have enjoyed it so it wasn't really rape.  Oh my god.  How did we get here?

Did you see this op-ed in the NYTimes?

And to top it off, not only do a lot of people seem to think his understanding of human reproduction is right, but he serves on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.  He is setting science policy for our country yet he is completely ignorant about human reproduction.  I can't even begin to express how upset this makes me.  How did our country completely lose rational science-driven logic?

Then this morning, getting out of bed to another f*&%$ing shooting with a semi-automatic gun.  Really?  How in the world can people be ok with this?  How many people have to be killed with semi-automatic guns before we collectively decide that this isn't liberty or freedom? 

It feels like our country is running with open arms back towards a time when mystical beliefs and violence ruled the day.  I don't want to go there.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I agree. The US seems like a scary-ass place, especially watching this shit unfold from halfway around the world. It makes me mad to hear people talk about how "lucky" they are to live in the US-- I want to shake them very hard and tell them what foolish dupes they are! The US seems to be one of the absolute WORST places in the world to live, where people don't feel safe from gunmen or poverty, where public services are practically non-existent, where injustice and prejudice are actively repressing people, and yet where people work harder than anyone else on the planet except the Japanese! What's to like about a system like that???? And that's not even to mention the rampant materialism and envy/shadenfreude that seem to dominate the social system. It's a total shithole, and I sure as hell don't ever want to go back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do find it amazing what types of people get elected in local govt. Im seriously scared for this coming election.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. 100%. My daily life is spent trying to get private philanthropy to cover the gaps created by our eroding social safety net, and it both incenses me and breaks my heart. So while I think this country can be a great place, I'm pretty down on it right now.

    ReplyDelete