Saturday, February 2, 2013

My IF past

This blog is not really an infertility blog anymore.  I find myself writing more about life in general, mama things, wife things, sometimes politics, very rarely about academia (although my academic career definitely colors everything I do).  I don't know how many new people come to visit here, but if you do, the Fert History bar is likely a bit misleading.

So, I decided to get rid of that side gadget, the one that lets people know what I went through on my way to mama-hood.

Plus, the more time that goes by, and the more I read of other people's long and extremely difficult experiences, the more I no longer feel that I can claim membership in the IF world.  I have deep, deep empathy/sympathy, but I don't have the street cred to continue asking for inclusion.  I kind of feel like a person who used to be an amputee but then grew the limb back.  I know what it was like, the scars are memories still in my heart in the far dark corners, but I can't claim handicap status anymore.  I still follow some of the IF blogs that have a big spot in my heart, so I'm definitely not walking away from that world.  I am there, cheering for my blog-sisters.

I am trying to explain this but I don't know if it is coming out right.  Hopefully you know what I mean.  

But for the record:

2008 January: The TALK with DH. TTC starts.

2008 September: conception

2008 October: miscarriage

2009 January: start OPKs and HPTs like a junkie

2009 May: start acupuncture & massage therapy & BBT charting in addition to the OPKs

2009 May 5: talk to OB/GYN about infertility

2009 May 26: first RE visit

2009 June 26: 1st HSG scheduled, kicked out b/c of heart murmur... inexplicably crushed beyond reason

2009 August: good friend who is 39 announces her accidental pregnancy w/#3 (and of course, she and her hubby are both unemployed)

2009 October: can't take it anymore and go to see RE #2 who totally rocks, start estrogen, clomid and progesterone to boost my own cycle (honestly thought this might work)

2009 December 28: return to RE #2 and ask for much more intervention, can't take much more of this, we decide on IVF

2010 January: tests, tests, and more tests; find out I have a funky uterus that needs surgery to fix

2010 February18: surgery goes well, now have to wait 30 days to heal

IVF attempt #1 (converted to IUI)
2010 March 15: start lupron
2010 March 26: stop lupron, start gonal-f and menopur
2010 April 5: advised to convert IVF to IUI b/c only 3 mature follicles
2010 April 7: IUI #1
2010 April 21: BFN, of course

2010 April 23-May 9 Ganirelix injections every morning

2010 May 10 baseline ultrasound and find 2 cysts on left ovary... start BCPs

IVF attempt #2
2010 May 30 last day of BCPs, Jun 1 is CD 1
2010 Jun 4 start micro-dose of lupron (20 units AM and PM)
2010 Jun 6 start 4 amps Gonal-f and 1 amp Menopur (plus 2 shots of lupron each day)
2010 Jun 15 retrieval, 6 (2 good, 1 ok, 3 very small)
2010 Jun 17 transfer (2 good ones!)
2010 July 2 BFP, hcg 314 at 15dp2dt
2010 July 6 hcg 1,489 19dp2dt
2010 July 19 11CR length 6mm and HR 124 bpm
2010 July 24 CR length 1.2cm and HR 153 bpm
2011 March 14, birth of M at 7lbs 3oz

2 comments:

  1. I wonder about this. I mean, a significant portion of your recent life was defined by infertility. So maybe that makes this a post-infertility blog? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand. Sometimes I don't feel like I don't have that street cred, either. And yet ... those are the people who started reading me.

    But I've always loved the name of your blog for that reason ... because it's not just about IF, but about a much larger journey. And I still love reading what you write. :)

    ReplyDelete