The title of this post makes it sound like we had a babysitter and some fiasco ensued... but we haven't even had her over yet. The fiasco happened just trying to get a babysitter.
Ok, so how many of you have actually gotten into an almost shouting match with your co-parent over finding a babysitter? Last week, I found myself in one of the more absurd situations... fighting over going out on a date? crazy crazy crazy
Here's what happened.
We needed a babysitter. It always seemed like a normal, natural thing to do in life. Have a kid. Have a babysitter who comes over every now and then, and the parents go out to dinner.
Little did I know that FINDING a babysitter can be so stressful...
So I got on our neighborhood Nextdoor website and asked if anyone had suggestions. A few people wrote back:
1) the lady who said her high school aged daughter babysits
2) the highschool age girl who said she'd love to babysit
3) the guy who suggested urbansitter.com
4) a week later, the lady who used to nanny and is currently in between jobs as a therapist
(#1 struck me as a bad idea from the get-go)
I chose option 2, and she came over two weekends in a row. The first time, I was home the whole time and she and M got along well. The second time, she stayed for 2 hours and I left for about 1 hour and 30 minutes to run errands, just before lunch. This went really well, and everything looked good for the dinner I knew was coming up. My friends and I had 3 dates to choose from, and so I ran them all by the babysitter and chose the date that worked best for her.
Then she texted a couple of days later and said that she needed to babysit her brother that night... oof.
So, I wrote to #4, who didn't get back to me for a while.
And I turned to #3.
Have you checked this site out? It's pretty cool. I signed up, tried contacting sitters one-by-one, and that didn't go too well as we need a sitter who has a car (our house is inconvenient for public transportation in the evenings). So then I figured out that you can post a job and sitters contact you. About 20 potential sitters contacted me within hours. Yippee!
A few of them looked absolutely perfect, one especially so. She had 20+ excellent reviews, about 10 repeat families, and had replied to my interview questions in such a great way. M can be very shy and wary of strangers, and I loved how she said she handled those kinds of kids.
I had been keeping Dh updated on the sitter search for the 3 weeks this had been going on. But apparently, in one ear and out the other.
When I ran my top 2 choices from Urbansitter past him, he nixed the whole thing. Something about letting a stranger who we know nothing about into our house, about online stuff being fake, about him being a really concerned and protective parent, wanting three references he could call personally, etc.
Perfect sitter #1 responded that, if her 20+ excellent reviews weren't enough, then perhaps we weren't the best fit for each other. She was very diplomatic and classy, but I could read between the lines that the request had crossed the line and she thought we were a bit too paranoid (as I knew she likely would... I mean really, how many people would set up 20+ different facebook accounts, arrange sitter jobs for herself and pay for them online over the course of about 18 months, etc.)
This set off the second phase of the argument.
I felt kinda backstabbed.
Was Dh trying to imply that I'm a bad parent because I'm willing to bring a babysitter into our house?
Did he really not notice how much effort I was putting into this, and that I'd spent hours and hours and hours on this effort, only for him to nix everything at the very last minute? I totally think he has veto power over parenting decisions, but if he didn't like my methodology, he shoulda done the vetoing long before I was that invested.
He also didn't seem to understand why I wanted to go out to dinner with friends of ours that we really enjoy and hadn't seen in about a year (wait, I saw them about 6 months ago, but he decided not to go at the last minute b/c he didn't like someone else who'd been invited too), and why I wanted him to go too (he'd offered to stay home).
And why was I so keen to go out to eat? He pointed out that the three of us go out to dinner once a week.
Ugh! Does he really not notice that our toddler sits in my lap through every one of those dinners? That I order a meal based on what she'll likely eat some of? That I take her to the bathroom at least three times? That I am the one who gets food-smeared? Don't get me wrong, I love those dinners. But a toddler-restaurant experience is so not the same thing as a dinner with adults... I mean, really?
And, he seemed to forget that these sitters were all coming to our house not knowing a thing about us. We could be complete freaks trying to lure them in with promises of a cute kid, but then tie them up in the basement (although, for the record, we don't have a basement). Seems to me like there comes a time when you gotta have some mutual trust here, and if you can't recognize that, then, I don't know...
We ended up finding a sitter on the urbansitter site that works at our university, and had lunch with her yesterday. She is terrific. Doesn't seem as fun as the first one I was leaning towards and scared away, but otherwise excellent on all levels. And Dh agreed.
So, the sitter-sitch worked out, but geez. I had no idea it would be this hard.
Are we the only ones? What is the next thing like this that I won't see coming, but ought to be forewarned about?
Ok, so how many of you have actually gotten into an almost shouting match with your co-parent over finding a babysitter? Last week, I found myself in one of the more absurd situations... fighting over going out on a date? crazy crazy crazy
Here's what happened.
We needed a babysitter. It always seemed like a normal, natural thing to do in life. Have a kid. Have a babysitter who comes over every now and then, and the parents go out to dinner.
Little did I know that FINDING a babysitter can be so stressful...
So I got on our neighborhood Nextdoor website and asked if anyone had suggestions. A few people wrote back:
1) the lady who said her high school aged daughter babysits
2) the highschool age girl who said she'd love to babysit
3) the guy who suggested urbansitter.com
4) a week later, the lady who used to nanny and is currently in between jobs as a therapist
(#1 struck me as a bad idea from the get-go)
I chose option 2, and she came over two weekends in a row. The first time, I was home the whole time and she and M got along well. The second time, she stayed for 2 hours and I left for about 1 hour and 30 minutes to run errands, just before lunch. This went really well, and everything looked good for the dinner I knew was coming up. My friends and I had 3 dates to choose from, and so I ran them all by the babysitter and chose the date that worked best for her.
Then she texted a couple of days later and said that she needed to babysit her brother that night... oof.
So, I wrote to #4, who didn't get back to me for a while.
And I turned to #3.
Have you checked this site out? It's pretty cool. I signed up, tried contacting sitters one-by-one, and that didn't go too well as we need a sitter who has a car (our house is inconvenient for public transportation in the evenings). So then I figured out that you can post a job and sitters contact you. About 20 potential sitters contacted me within hours. Yippee!
A few of them looked absolutely perfect, one especially so. She had 20+ excellent reviews, about 10 repeat families, and had replied to my interview questions in such a great way. M can be very shy and wary of strangers, and I loved how she said she handled those kinds of kids.
I had been keeping Dh updated on the sitter search for the 3 weeks this had been going on. But apparently, in one ear and out the other.
When I ran my top 2 choices from Urbansitter past him, he nixed the whole thing. Something about letting a stranger who we know nothing about into our house, about online stuff being fake, about him being a really concerned and protective parent, wanting three references he could call personally, etc.
Perfect sitter #1 responded that, if her 20+ excellent reviews weren't enough, then perhaps we weren't the best fit for each other. She was very diplomatic and classy, but I could read between the lines that the request had crossed the line and she thought we were a bit too paranoid (as I knew she likely would... I mean really, how many people would set up 20+ different facebook accounts, arrange sitter jobs for herself and pay for them online over the course of about 18 months, etc.)
This set off the second phase of the argument.
I felt kinda backstabbed.
Was Dh trying to imply that I'm a bad parent because I'm willing to bring a babysitter into our house?
Did he really not notice how much effort I was putting into this, and that I'd spent hours and hours and hours on this effort, only for him to nix everything at the very last minute? I totally think he has veto power over parenting decisions, but if he didn't like my methodology, he shoulda done the vetoing long before I was that invested.
He also didn't seem to understand why I wanted to go out to dinner with friends of ours that we really enjoy and hadn't seen in about a year (wait, I saw them about 6 months ago, but he decided not to go at the last minute b/c he didn't like someone else who'd been invited too), and why I wanted him to go too (he'd offered to stay home).
And why was I so keen to go out to eat? He pointed out that the three of us go out to dinner once a week.
Ugh! Does he really not notice that our toddler sits in my lap through every one of those dinners? That I order a meal based on what she'll likely eat some of? That I take her to the bathroom at least three times? That I am the one who gets food-smeared? Don't get me wrong, I love those dinners. But a toddler-restaurant experience is so not the same thing as a dinner with adults... I mean, really?
And, he seemed to forget that these sitters were all coming to our house not knowing a thing about us. We could be complete freaks trying to lure them in with promises of a cute kid, but then tie them up in the basement (although, for the record, we don't have a basement). Seems to me like there comes a time when you gotta have some mutual trust here, and if you can't recognize that, then, I don't know...
We ended up finding a sitter on the urbansitter site that works at our university, and had lunch with her yesterday. She is terrific. Doesn't seem as fun as the first one I was leaning towards and scared away, but otherwise excellent on all levels. And Dh agreed.
So, the sitter-sitch worked out, but geez. I had no idea it would be this hard.
Are we the only ones? What is the next thing like this that I won't see coming, but ought to be forewarned about?
I think I might be your DH! :) We planned to go out of town to catch a Rolling Stones concert, we'd had the tickets for months, and after the concert I was supposed to leave for Japan. Had the overnight babysitter lined up and everything! But, the night before I almost broke down and cancelled the trip and the concert because I didn't want to leave my babies, and screw he concert, and what if there's a tornado, and MY BABIIIIIIES! I really don't like leaving my kids at all. But, we did go and had a great time, they love the sitter (a teacher from our daycare) and the Stones kicked ass. [As an extra bonus, I didn't go to Japan as my flight was cancelled and any other flight would have me delayed by 2 days, so I had a nice excuse to cancel everything! Yes!]
ReplyDeleteI think these bouts of paranoia are all part of the parenting gig. (In your DH's case, he may not actually want to go out for whatever reason. My husband is not very social, so I could totally imagine him throwing a hissy fit over something tangential whereas in reality he just doesn't want to go.)
Sigh. Marriage. I think your DH was just looking for excuses. We've used sittercity and urbansitter to find long term sitters, and its worked out beautifully. Yes, there is an element of trust, but so is there with any childcare (daycare, nanny, etc.)
ReplyDeleteKeep the sitter happy and occupied now that you have her. and create a date night -- it's NOT the same with the toddler (even though for our husbands it kind of is...)
I use some of the young women from our daycare. They often want extra work.
ReplyDelete