Friday, January 22, 2016

grad admissions

I witnessed an interesting interaction today.

My department is hosting it's prospective grad students, and as part of that, a few faculty were asked to share a bit of their research or to talk specifically about our research centers, etc.

An assistant professor who has been here for about 4 years gave a 20 minute presentation. She was struggling a bit to describe eloquently some collaborative projects that our department is involved in, but she was doing ok. The male full professor who was slated to speak after her interrupted and said, "Don't bother, I'll be talking about this in my presentation."

I can't think of an instance when this would be ok. Isn't the etiquette to adjust your talk if the person before you covered something you were going to talk about? I was baffled. But, at least our prospective students got a sense of why our faculty is only 20% female...


1 comment: