This article is four years old, but I'm curious what you think of it?
http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Are-Associate-Professors/132071/
Not sure if you can get access to it if you aren't linked through a university IP address, but here is my favorite quote:
"Brent Chesley, a professor of English at Aquinas College, understands the phenomenon. "We were all accepted into a grad program, completed degrees, got a position, and got tenure," he says. "Then there is this point at which one realizes: Oh, I won't ever earn a huge salary. I won't ever get to live in New York City. But worst of all, I'll never be interviewed by Terry Gross."
If you can link to the actual article, don't read the comments. Oof, and a bit off-topic.
http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Are-Associate-Professors/132071/
Not sure if you can get access to it if you aren't linked through a university IP address, but here is my favorite quote:
"Brent Chesley, a professor of English at Aquinas College, understands the phenomenon. "We were all accepted into a grad program, completed degrees, got a position, and got tenure," he says. "Then there is this point at which one realizes: Oh, I won't ever earn a huge salary. I won't ever get to live in New York City. But worst of all, I'll never be interviewed by Terry Gross."
If you can link to the actual article, don't read the comments. Oof, and a bit off-topic.
I have always found that CHE is not aimed at folks like us (in the sciences and at research universities). We are not their target demographics. Whenever I read their articles, I only sort of, but not really, recognize the world they are describing.
ReplyDeleteThis particular post I read several years ago.
I am also not too big a fan of Karen Kelsky ("The Professor Is In"). She was quoted as having left academia because the colleagues didn't have time to chat in the hallways. I can't imagine she said that, it's too stupid. Certainly not the real reason she actually left academia. I chat with some colleagues, not much with others. Things are busy.
Anyway, my main impression is that there are truths -- they definitely pile on the service after tenure, but as for research I certainly didn't feel like the pressure dropped, either external or internal, on the contrary. I work more and better and grander now than before tenure. But overall the article really sparks very little recognition on my end.
Wait, I'm not happy? I do wish I taught less, but... But I guess that's the results of some survey someone did.
ReplyDelete#2 on our blog definitely wasn't happy. That's why she's no longer an associate professor...
I don't think people should give up on Terry Gross.