Irrational Exuberance's post on swim class & B reminded me of a story I wanted to share.
I have been taking M to a baby swim class at the Y since early november. I really enjoy it even though it is really corny. I am not sure that M really loves swimming, but she definitely doesn't mind it. And honestly, as long as there are lots of people for her to watch she'd be happy doing just about anything. The kid is really social. Not sure where she got that from.
But anyway, I wanted to share a funny story with you. As Irrational Ex notes, the logistics of putting on and taking off bathing suits is kinda crazy. I have to mentally prepare myself and go into it like a live-action video game.
M is pretty much walking now, but isn't very stable. And she is one curious little bug. Oh, and she absolutely hates having her diaper changed or clothes put on or taken off because it really cramps one's time for exploraton. Luckily the women in the locker room are typically the same crowd (9am saturday), and they are soooooo nice.
The funny thing last week was that M took off crawling across the floor. I hadn't managed to get a diaper on her. She paused, looked at me kind of funny... a look I know... I tried to get there in time but didn't make it. She peed all over the floor.
what do you do?
sop it up and hope no one really noticed, but I think one lady totally did and pretended to be looking in the other direction as I did my sopping.
And one other thought. I am always really cold walkng back to the locker room in my wet swim suit. M doesn't seem to care at all. I wrap dry her off and wrap her up in a towel, but she seems oblivious.
I have been tempted to change myself first, but I never do. I am too afraid that it'd make me look like a bad mother. So I shiver, for appearances sake.
what would you do?
Funny. So many logistical details I have not even thought about... I have no advise, but I thank you for putting it out there to set my expectations for the future. I can't say for certain but I think I may have laughed at the unfortunate pee incident (I certainly did when I read about it).
ReplyDeleteits ok. No big deal. Kids pee and even poop when they get chance anywhere and everywhere. It doesn't make you a bad mother. All kids have this kind of accident somewhere, doesn't matter how much you carefully wrap them in diapers. So relax and enjoy...
ReplyDeleteI take my kids--3 and 7--swimming both separately and together, and years ago I figured out that things went better if I got dressed before they did. Don't feel bad about it! I can't remember all the logistical reasons that led to this, but a big part of it is psychological (on their parts). Once they have swimsuits on, they're ready to run to the pool--so if I'm not ready yet, I'm fighting them, and it's hard to get MY swimsuit on. And after we're done swimming, once they're dressed, they're ready to head out the dressing room door. There's also the personal dignity issue: I find it demoralizing to be wrestling a child, holding the door shut with my leg, etc., etc., while half clothed.
ReplyDeleteHusband and I took our first to a class at our local Y for "gym" time and "swim" time every week. It was great! I think the parents get more out of it than the kids (having something new for the kids to do, etc.), but our son loved it.
ReplyDeleteAs for changing. I always brought snacks. I would bring an extra towel and my umbrella stroller (parked neatly in the corner folded up while we were in the pool). After getting out the of the pool, first thing i would do is pull off kiddos bathing suit and swim diaper and get a real diaper on them. Then I put the extra towel in the stroller, then kiddo then towel on top to keep them warm if they wanted to. I handed the kiddo his sippy and a "snack catcher" of cheerios or a fruit breakfast bar and then I got dressed while he was happily eating away. After I was dressed I dressed him and we all left the change room quickly. I don't know if it would work for you, but it worked for us up until he was almost three.