Friday, December 14, 2012

receiving gifts

A little over a year ago, M sent her daddy an email and told him that she thought I'd like a particular ring for my birthday that she'd seen online.  It had her birthstones and her daddy's birthstones alternating.  She's awesome that way, always looking out for me,  :)

You will likely not be surprised that I did get it for my birthday.

It was amongst the things that were stolen.  And while I realy liked the ring, it didn't have that huge of a sentimental value since I had picked it out and it had been my idea.  but I was sad it was gone, as I did really like it and it was sort of a representational gift from M and her daddy.

Then in the mail yesterday I get a box from a company that I didn't remember ordering from.  I opened it and was super surpised that it was from the same place as where my ring was from.  It had earring that matched the ring, and a note from dh saying that this would match my ring... he'd ordered them a week or so before the robbery.

I was really really touched.  I totally teared up.  I needed the special gesture, and it as so amazing to get nice jewelry that addressed that new psychological void.  It isn't like I actually wear much jewelry at any one time, but I still feel a hole in my psyche.

Now, can I ask you a really hard question to ask?  I need some honest advice.  I love the concept and the gesture of the earrings.  But, I don't really like the earrings.  I am not into big earings, esp heavy ones.  I usually just wear very small earrings, like teeny tiny hoops.  These are big and heavy.  But I love the gift part.

Have you ever gotten a really really meaningful gift of jewelry that you loved for all the sentimental reasons, but that totally wasn't your style? what did you do? did you just wear the piece(s) anyway?

6 comments:

  1. I've gotten jewelry and I don't wear jewelry.I might wear it in their presence as soon as they give it to me....and then it goes into a safe place never to be seen again.

    I thank them for it and tell them that it means a lot that they thought of me and made the effort to get something. And I tell them something I do like about their gift. And I might wear it on a special occasion where they will be present.

    If someone gets me something, that is a pretty big for me. It does not matter if it is useful or not. They thought of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way to make the earrings into pendants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah i agree that you should wear them to go on a 'date' with dh or to a party, but there is no obligation to wear them evvery day. How sweet and thoughtful. How is he doing??

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet of your dh!!! And what a wonderful surprise!! But I completely understand what you are saying... it's a fine line... to help him understand what you like/your style vs. not discourage him from repeating the behavior of picking out a surprise for you. I kind of lean toward wearing them and telling him how special his gift was to you... to encourage the behavior in the future... but then again, I'm not the greatest at relationships so take it for what it's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a necklace to match a ring that my partner bought me. I loved the ring and it was a sweet thing that he tried to do, but the necklace wasn't my style. I kept it in its box and occassionally if we were going somewhere nice I wore it. It made him happy and it made me happy to wear it for him. And actually, after a little while, I started to love it more anyway, and wear it more often. Did my tastes change? Probably not. I think I just looked at it differently because it meant something to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the earrings are so touching - how very sweet of him to do that!
    If you love them for sentimental reasons, I agree with N - why not have them turned into something you will wear often so that you can be reminded of how much he loves you? You can explain to him that, while you love them, they were too heavy for your ears, and since your ring was stolen, you'd like to turn them into something you will wear often...like a ring or necklace or bracelet or brooch. That's what I would do. And yes, how is dh's health? Is there an update? Hope he is doing better, and that you, also, are feeling better. (Hugs)
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete