Wednesday, December 12, 2012

this and that

Nothing soothes like a lot of web friends telling you that you have every right to drown your worries with wine aand smeared mascara.  THANK YOU.

M totally had a meltdown on Sat evening, b/c no nap usu does... I took the opportunity to lose it with her.  We sat on the couch and cried together until we both realized that it was kind of funny.

I made an apt to get my forehead botoxed tomorrow.  Maybe I don't have any jewelry, but I can express my vanity in other superficial ways now that I will have some insurance money coming my way.  And I went out and bought an iPad mini, which I am loving.  Maybe a bit too much.  Add in a new coat from Anthropologie and I'd say that the retail therapy made a nice dent in my bad mood.  At least I no longer feel the need to rip the insurance guy's eyeballs out.

To add to my superficiality, which I can be honest about even while recognizing that its nothing to take pride in... so a few months ago I was interviewed by an investigative journalist who is doing a story on some financial issues in higher ed.  This is something I got immersed into in a somewhat controversial way a couple of years ago, and it turns out that he seems to agree with me (which always makes someone seem more favorable).

any of you ever meet an investigative journalist? me, I have now met two.  They are both tall and exceedingly good looking with a take-no-prisoners attitude that, to be totally homest, totally appeals to me.  I wonder if that's a trend or a coincidence? not that I have a thing for men like that, but that investigative journalists are all like that...

Any who.  This man is hot, but wears a wedding ring.  I am kinda happy about that b/c it precludes/removes from my mind weird inappropriate thoughts, but I do still want to make a good impression.

We have had some back and forth phone calls over the last few days to figure out when to film this follow-up interview.  He ends up calling me around 6pm this evening, which is smack towards the end of M's dinner time.  So we talk a bit about Monday, and I am managing to keep my cool-all-business persona that I've been emphasizing with him, cause he's like that.

Of course, M starts totally losing it.  And I mean losing it.

What is up with the universal law that the minute you get on the phone, toddlers totally go from happy collegial baby to freak-out-birth-control-type-behavior?

So I am pretty sure this guy doesn't have kids, cause anyone in their right parenting mind would have let me get off the phone without needing much prompting.  But NOOOOO. He just keeps talking and talking and asking questions that I am now too distracted from being able to answer.

Think I blew my "i am so cool and all business serious" aura?  ;)
makes me chuckle when I think about what musta been going through his mind.

On a different train of thought, that is somewhat related, it kinda makes me a little sad when people without kids just see that side of M.  She really isn't like that very often, but I really remember being totally frightened when I was witness to that kind of kid behavior when I was pre-kid.  It is a little sad when people give you the look, you know the one, the one that says, "your crazy wild child has just extinguished the one glimmer of baby-desire I was having, and I am pretty convinced that I will now stay on birth control forever."  My kid really isn't the birth-control-advocacy type, she's usually the awe-i-want-one-of-those types.  so it bums me out a bit when people get the wrong first impression.

4 comments:

  1. I had that happen to me the other day when the superintendent called asking me to have lunch with him to discuss my new position on the Board of Education. Yep, nothing like a toddler meltdown to inspire confidence in your education decision-making skills ... (!)

    Sending sympathy! (And I suspect he probably understood more than he let on.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate those moments, Ian started freaking out a bit while I was attempting to get some answers from our insurance company this afternoon, so frustrating!

    Glad you were able to get some good retail therapy in & a quality cry in when you needed it! Hope the end of the year wraps up smoothly & drama free for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny about the journalist!! He either doesn't have kids or has a very different parenting attitude...

    I'm glad you got in some good retail therapy. Let us know how the botox goes. I plan on using it, but I am not going to start just yet, because I really can't see keeping it up for 30 years. And I don't want to get into a situation where I have to either keep doing it or looks suddenly ancient! I'm scared! But everyone who i know who does it looks amaaaaazing. And I'm still sorry about your things. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it does truly suck, and is sad to lose things with sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for botox and retail therapy! I have J Crew and Anthro open right now and I'm debating how much of a heart attack to give my husband...

    Doncha just love eye/brain candy? I love when I have someone fun to look at/interact with. I would never ever do anything about it but it's kind of fun to wake up that section of the brain that goes dormant when you get married.

    Aaaaand, there's nothing like a melting down toddler to shut that shit right back down.

    Sofia had a 'lay on the floor in the middle of the store' meltdown the other day and I just let her lay there and finish it out, DARING someone to come say something to me. Let em judge, we know our kids are awesome.

    ReplyDelete