Wednesday, March 23, 2011

M's nanny

M has her not-so-pleasant side in the evenings.  Some nights this is not a big deal, other nights its a little scary.  Last night was a pretty scary night.  She fussed and freaked out from 8pm-2am.  We call this the purple-flailing-frog mode.  She gets herself all totally worked up, the arms flailing -- which then freaks her out even more, and she beats her head against your chest and tries to suck on you like she's never been fed in her entire life.  It's so sad, just breaks my heart. 

Today was the first day Dh went to work all day and M's nanny came.  We hired a wonderful Tibetan woman who works with babies from newborn to pre-school age.  She will come two days a week to help me out.  I was very hesitant about what it would be like to have someone hanging out in my house (it is a small house).  I only just recently started having a house keeper come once every-other-week, and that still kind of weirds me out (but I really, really needed some house cleaning help, and I LOVE it). 

I am hoping that by having the nanny come from virtually day 1 it will be easier for me to transition back to work slowly as the time comes, as it won't be like leaving M with a stranger.   Once M is eating on a somewhat less frequent basis I hope to be able to spend an afternoon or two at school each week for meetings.  But back to M...

We interviewed the nanny a few weeks or a month ago and fell in love.  She immediately won me over as she is very peaceful and just radiates a good aura.  Plus, a close colleague and his wife had nothing to say but wonderful about her (she cared for their two kids when they were younger, and still baby sits from time-to-time). 

She showed up around 9am and spent the vast majority of the day just holding M, changing diapers, and bringing M to me when she was hungry.  I took a wonderful 2 hour nap in the bed all by myself and a really long shower without feeling guilty.  I answered some email.  And then it was time for her to go.  While it was a little weird when I got onto the computer, I think this will feel more normal as time goes by.  In the meantime, I am over-the-moon about the little break. 

I feel refreshed.  It's wonderful to have M back in her moby wrap sleeping on my chest now.  I'm ready for the return of the purple-flailing-frog tonight.  Bring it on...  :)

5 comments:

  1. Nothing better than an awesome sounding Nanny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit late to the party, but a big CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you. Enjoy and take care of yourself. Newborns are so adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I'm glad that you're getting some time to yourself ... she sounds perfect! *hugs* to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your nanny sounds amazing-- the 2 am thing not so much. I hope last night was an anomaly!!! Six hours of crying is enough to wear down your last nerve. Or more like enough to flay and set fire to your last nerve!

    I have the opposite issue, where P refuses the breast when she's very fussy, even though she's hungry. I wonder what it all means.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds great! It is a good idea to have her get to know little M. I would suggest, if you haven't already thought of it, to have her give M a bottle of breast milk on a regular basis. I tried when my daughter was 6 weeks, she did fine and then at 12 weeks when I went back to work, she would NEVER take a bottle until 7 MONTHS. I was lucky enough to have my childcare at my work, but otherwise it would have been really rough.

    ReplyDelete