I typically use Pam.pers Swad.dlers and have developed an appreciation for the cute sesame street babies on the front and the whiteness everywhere else.
Yesterday we had to go with a type we haven't tried before due to a bad-mama emergency situation, the last diaper was on Mads. It amazes me how decorated these diapers are, and I found that I had the same problem that a guy wrote about in Slate.
He called it Butt Elmo.
This got me thinking. This advertising is geared for the baby and not the parent. My four month old baby can't see these things as they are on her bod, and in this case the cute stuff is on her butt. No way is that going to be noticed by its apparent target audience.
I think it would be hilarious to have a line of diapers with photos of political figures on them. Imagine your favorite Fox News talk show host or, depending on your political leanings, one of the op-ed writers for the NY Times right on your baby's butt. This way, when she poos you get to smile at the symbolism and take out some of your frustration against the world in an amusing way. It would make cleaning up poo-poo blow-outs kind of fun... imagine, poo smeared all over your favorite ex-President's snarky smile.
I was describing this idea to Madsy yesterday and patted her rear end for effect. As if on cue she did a really huge poo in the new diaper. It really added to the moment. Too bad we weren't presenting as a team to an investor...

Oh, my. Imagine the possibilities ... how about customizable screenprinting?
ReplyDeleteI so wish you lived in my corner of the universe. :)
Ha! I use the swaddlers sensitive, and they only have little lambs or other non-branded farm animals on the front and a blessedly white background on the back. i hated the smell and sesame street prints on the regular swaddlers so we use the sensitive. and the sensitive still has the wetness indicator, which i love. i was so turned off by the elmo i switched the diapers i used! reverse marketing?
ReplyDeleteI'm with that guy on wnating the front of the diaper to look DIFFERENT from the back!
ReplyDeleteAs for the steady stream of sesame street characters trooping across my consciousness, it seems designed for maximum insanity. "Big bird again! Cookie monster again! Elmo again! One with the cartoon printed all wonky again!" I guess it marks the time...
I do think we need some more stylish diapers, though. Now that P can take her diaper OFF, I also think the diaper should be less appealing to the actual baby.
-Lesley