I am back at my parents visiting just like I was this time last year.
But this year I have Maddy with me in her separate flesh. In 8 hours she will be exactly 20 weeks old.
We have a rhythm. We know each other. I can calm her, I can make her laugh. She nestles her head against my neck in a way she does with no one else. She is my baby and I am her mama. It is beautiful.
But in all honesty I still can't believe I am a mother. Sometimes I worry when she isn't with me that I will forget her. I worry about accidentally leaving the house without her or forgetting to pick her up from day care when she starts, or coming home in time to relieve the nanny. I have never even come close to doing this but it still worries me. I have no idea where that fear comes from.
I also worry that I won't ever be special to her. She has grown into a really gregarious baby that smiles at everyone and loves to be held by anyone. Even if she is crying she'll pause for a few moments in order to give someone a big smile, as if she can't bring herself to be rude. Maybe this is just her age. Maybe it is her personality. But I don't seem to be a particularly special person to her yet, just another really nice person who is around her more than everyone else. I know this is absurd, but this fear feels real to me right now.
I am genuinely excited by her development. What an amazing emotion overwhelmed me when I felt her little sharp tooth breaking through her gum a week ago. And the pride I feel when she leans forward in her car seat in anticipation of being picked up. But as these things happen I see her newborn babyness as history, and I wish I could have it back for just another few weeks more. I wasn't ready for that stage to be over. I hadn't had enough. Now she is starting to get hair. She is starting to grab fiercely and with strength for things. She is starting to want things, like this monkey balloon here at my parents house. When you take it away she cries. My little newborn cries for want of a monkey balloon. She isn't a newborn anymore. And while this is wonderful and so fun to watch, it is heartbreaking. I am sad that she is no longer a newborn baby.
20 weeks. 60 weeks in total this wonderful little thing has been in my life. While it feels comfortable and natural on so many levels it still doesn't really feel like my life. There is still this sense that I will wake up and it will be all back the way it was.
But then in the middle of the night I wake up when I hear her scratch away at the side of her portable crib beside my bed here in the guest room at my parents house. I smile. I am her mother. I am the one who gets up with her no matter how tired I am. And I always give her a big smile. And she always gives me one too.
Happy 20 week birthday, Maddy!! You are very lucky to have such a wonderful mommy that loves you so much!
ReplyDeleteShe loves you! Believe me it is a blessing that she likes other people, particulary since you are going back to work. If she didn't she would be miserable at childcare and you would feel guilty.... Plus you said that she only snuggles into YOUR neck. That is because you are her MAMA!
ReplyDeleteYes, yes yes. I relate to all of this.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little, my mother regularly DID forget me (at school), and I didn't hold it against her. Maddy will accept you 100% no matter what-- even if you do forget her at daycare from time to time (which you won't).
Also, at almost 6 months old, Penelope is definitely starting to become wary of strangers. It IS gratifying, in a way.
I love this and totally get it. But you know that you know her better than anyone else, and she knows that too.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are never going to forget about her -- she is hard wired into you now. That said, I have the same thoughts. LIke -- what if I go out after work and forget I need to be home?
fwiw, B is just now starting to get a little stranger anxiety (howled at his grampa on Saturday), and part of me is pretty psyched.
I was also quite unprepared for how much one loves one's kids. And I think at the end of the day we love our children more than they love us, and that's perfectly fine; their kids will be the love of their lives.
ReplyDeleteBut while they are little, they do love us completely and unconditionally. Mads is crazy about you, have no doubt.
Motherhood is fierce, isn't it? The way I love my baby sometimes takes my breath away. And even though the babyhood loss is sad, what you gain in a cognizant little being is worth the loss. It's just amazing.
ReplyDelete