like preparing for the talk I have to give at noon tomorrow, or writing the letter of recommedation for a colleague's big award nomination that is due on Tuesday (and has to be cowritten with a jerk colleague who insisted that he is busier than I am), or reading at least one of the two dissertations that got dropped on my lap by students who are late and absolutely have to have my comments back by wednsday, or reviewing that article that was due on Nov 29th.
but you know what? I am finding it very difficult to care. I had such a nice day playing with M, putting up a christmas tree and then doing a photo shoot of M in her santa dress in front of it, and then in her grinch t-shirt... and now I am catching up on blog posts.
life is good. M has taught me to really step away. It will all work out somehow...
but you know what? I am finding it very difficult to care.
ReplyDeleteI hear ya. Same here. I think, for me at least, it has to do with the work demands becoming overwhelming, so I have to shut down, otherwise I would totally go insane. I have actually decided that I will postpone writing a grant on a completely new topic till the spring; I just don't have it in me to do it now even though I promised...
But I digress. Enjoy your beautiful baby! They don't stay so little for long. Savor every moment.
Amen.
ReplyDeleteWhat I really want to know is why students think they can get stuff to us late and we'll be able to make deadlines?
Kid who asked me to write a letter before Tiny Boy was born just got me his stuff last week. And then emailed to say, oops, his earliest deadline isn't Dec 15 but Dec 5. Ummm, sorry. I think that trip to Target for a nursing bra and filling out paperwork for Tiny Boy's insurance is more important today...