M's daycare is closed for 2 weeks while they give the teachers a holiday and then do some training and cleaning before the start of the new year. This makes sense, and I'll all for treating the teachers well. But it does kinda make it hard on parents, as we then need to juggle small child while we also try to work.
The first two days of this week Dh has been busy with a film crew for some documentary thing. He does these a lot, and has an absolute inability to say "no" when TV is attached to the request... but that's another story for another post. And that's not what I wanted to tell you all about.
It was a guy on the film crew that annoyed the crappola out of me today. I have shouldered all the child care yesterday and today, not to mention most of the time over the weekend so that Dh could do their stupid video, and Dh has been pretty verbal about this with them, from what I can tell.
I normally don't take M to my office but I really needed to work in my office for about 1.5 hours . So, M came along with Princess and the Frog on the iPad (her recent favorite). That was all good. Then we were leaving. The film people were all out in the hallway filming Dh and the main guy walking down the hallway. They were setting up, so totally no big deal for us to walk by. M was all excited to get to run after having been sitting still for the last 1.5 hours, and so she ran off to her daddy. Then when it was time to get on the elevator to leave, she didn't want to, as running through the hallway is lots of fun.
Pause: Have I mentioned how mama-clingy M is? I mean, seriously? Dh spent a day with her about 10 days ago and that helped a lot, but no one who spends more than 3 minutes with us would not pick up on the parental preference. It is often so bad that I feel really awful for Dh's ego in front of other people.
Now, back to the story. As M ran back to her daddy one more time, as I was nicely calling for her to come with me, this film crew guy says, "well, I guess it is really clear who the dynamic attractive personality is in your marriage!"
Oh my god. Can you believe he would say that to me? Is it just me, or is that ridiculously rude? Granted, Dh can turn on the charm for the camera, but in the real world he is an absolute wall flower, and is usually ridiculously non-social to the point of being really, really rude.
I am trying not to take my irked-ness out on my thoughts of Dh. But, geez, ow freaking insensitive. They don't even pay Dh for all of this. I lost SO MUCH work time because of these stupid film people. Dh took about 10 hours over the weekend to work on a manuscript deadline that the filming interfered with, and now he argued that he needs to work at least half-days on Wednesday and Thursday because he lost these last 2 days in the office. That is just not going to work for me anymore. TV filming counts as his time at work whether he thinks it should or not. Especially if the film crew is comprised of rude, insensitive jerks.
The first two days of this week Dh has been busy with a film crew for some documentary thing. He does these a lot, and has an absolute inability to say "no" when TV is attached to the request... but that's another story for another post. And that's not what I wanted to tell you all about.
It was a guy on the film crew that annoyed the crappola out of me today. I have shouldered all the child care yesterday and today, not to mention most of the time over the weekend so that Dh could do their stupid video, and Dh has been pretty verbal about this with them, from what I can tell.
I normally don't take M to my office but I really needed to work in my office for about 1.5 hours . So, M came along with Princess and the Frog on the iPad (her recent favorite). That was all good. Then we were leaving. The film people were all out in the hallway filming Dh and the main guy walking down the hallway. They were setting up, so totally no big deal for us to walk by. M was all excited to get to run after having been sitting still for the last 1.5 hours, and so she ran off to her daddy. Then when it was time to get on the elevator to leave, she didn't want to, as running through the hallway is lots of fun.
Pause: Have I mentioned how mama-clingy M is? I mean, seriously? Dh spent a day with her about 10 days ago and that helped a lot, but no one who spends more than 3 minutes with us would not pick up on the parental preference. It is often so bad that I feel really awful for Dh's ego in front of other people.
Now, back to the story. As M ran back to her daddy one more time, as I was nicely calling for her to come with me, this film crew guy says, "well, I guess it is really clear who the dynamic attractive personality is in your marriage!"
Oh my god. Can you believe he would say that to me? Is it just me, or is that ridiculously rude? Granted, Dh can turn on the charm for the camera, but in the real world he is an absolute wall flower, and is usually ridiculously non-social to the point of being really, really rude.
I am trying not to take my irked-ness out on my thoughts of Dh. But, geez, ow freaking insensitive. They don't even pay Dh for all of this. I lost SO MUCH work time because of these stupid film people. Dh took about 10 hours over the weekend to work on a manuscript deadline that the filming interfered with, and now he argued that he needs to work at least half-days on Wednesday and Thursday because he lost these last 2 days in the office. That is just not going to work for me anymore. TV filming counts as his time at work whether he thinks it should or not. Especially if the film crew is comprised of rude, insensitive jerks.
What a rude guy! Also a brown-noser to your DH.
ReplyDeleteOccasionally, when someone is rude like that and I am not at my most composed, I will just tell them what I think -- that they are being rude, or it's none of their business, or that no one asked their opinion etc. And every time I am eventually happy I did, because the anger and frustration and confusion is now the other person's problem, I don't have to seethe with it.
But mostly big hugs! My DH will also take as much time for himself as I don't insist he doesn't; it's amazing how they have zero guilt about not doing their share. I hope you get your DH to pull his weight when it comes to caring for M this week. Good luck!
Yeah, some of those guys are super nice, but others are total assholes. I remember a particularly obnoxious PBS crew that I couldn't wait to have leave, when I was a PhD student (no one approaches me for TV!! It was all my superstar advisor! :)). They seemed to fund it extremely funny that one of the other students in the lab was taking animals' temperatures rectally (they were closet 8-year-olds). Good thing they weren't there for the time when that visiting post-doc was masturbating them!!
ReplyDelete... I mean she was masturbating the animals, not the PBS film crew. They probably would have been into that!
ReplyDelete