The cursed day in IF land is here.
While I appreciate the "happy first mother's day" wishes people IRL have thrown my way, I have mixed feelings about it. Honestly, there isn't anything special about me now. I haven't developed any new characteristics that weren't here before. The only difference is that I was fortunate enough to finally get my baby.
The things that I see myself doing as a mother are all things that I now realize I had and did before. The only difference is that now I focus them all on one little being rather than scattered around to lots of people and animals. The patience, the love, the compassion, the attention, the worry. Those were all here before.
If there is anything I've learned for this mother's day it is that all women, especially those that want children, have all of the mothering components already there and being expressed. And the world is a much better place for them, for us. The physical reality of a child in your arms doesn't change the value that you bring to the world. In some ways, it might actually diminish it (as I find I sometimes have much less patience for others now).
Instead of lavishing attention on those women who have a child today we should all turn to the women around us who have shown patience, love, and concern for us. Even the smallest episodes of mothering that we get from the kind stranger at the grocery store (for example) are the things we should all appreciate today. Those are the mothering moments that make the world a better place.
So in that vein, I want to say happy mother's day to all of you. Thank you for the love, generosity, compassion, and advice you have given to me over the past year. I have really needed and benefited from the motherly love you have passed my way. Thank you!
Thank you for this. It's always nice to know that I'm still a "Mother" even though *technically* I'm not.
ReplyDeleteDespite it all ... Happy 1st M Day to you!
So well put. Your posts have been speaking to my heart lately!
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post, it touches my heart.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice post. Enjoy this special day with your dh and your precious little gift!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! And you said you were only good at science writing... pshaw! This should be published somewhere.
ReplyDeleteIn that vein, I wish the rest of the world would start to acknowledge childless mothers more. Both their incredible contribution (here I am thinking particularly of my [never-married] electron microscopy teacher in college-- what an amazingly nurturing woman! I honor her in my heart today, in response to this post), and their burden (of suffering directly from IF, or even if they didn't want children, of not conforming to the status quo).
Your thoughts here are very inspiring!
(And of course, even in spite of all of these loftier and truer sentiments, I still warmly wish you a very happy first mother's day!)
I love the way you put this, thank you. Feeling gratitude for you right now, as well, and support between women. I relate to your feelings and what you share about your life a lot. It helps me imagine what my future might be.
ReplyDeleteSweet.. Happy Mother's Day to you.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely. :) Mother's Day would be a lot easier if we celebrated those nurturing capacities in each other. Thanks for being there for all of us on this journey!
ReplyDelete