Monday, May 23, 2011

on the massage table

On Sunday morning I went for a massage, my first since M's birth.  It was much needed as my upper back is often sore at night from carrying her around. 

But once I got on the table I realized that I needed it for more than my back.

You see, I started to get massages and acupuncture weekly for a while in the summer of 2009 as a way to try and heal from the depression that kicked in after the miscarriage.  I remember vividly focusing on how good the massage felt and trying to send those good vibes to my eggs as a way to entice them to mature, fertilize and grow.  Trying to mentally visualize my body as a happy feel-good place for a baby to grow.  I wanted that baby so bad that I'd often have tears dripping from my eyes during the massage, but I don't think the masseuse ever noticed (my mascara smears even under the best of circumstances during a massage).

Obviously the massages and acupuncture didn't quite do the trick for me and I turned to the heavy medical guns (IVF).  With all the focus on needles and drugs it'd been a long time since I remembered having those thoughts as I laid on the massage table.

And then on Sunday morning I thought about the two prenatal massages I had during my third trimester.  M seemed to love them too as her movements would become very fluid and smooth, unlike her usual jerks.  I think my happy hormones seeped into her blood stream, just like I had envisioned all that time ago before she was conceived.

I wish that I could go back and whisper into the ear of that sad woman I was in 2009.  I wish I could tell her that it would all work out.  I wish that we all could know the ending to our stories ahead of time.  It is so hard to read/live through such an anxious book and not be able to flip to the last page to get a sense of how it works out, or even to know how many pages we have left to read. As I have said before, I spent so many hours on the internet hoping that I'd find a website that would tell me whether or not this would work out.  But I never found it. 

And I still have some feelings of doubt.

Every day I still feel like someone will come and take M away from me, tell me it was all a big mistake.  It is hard to believe she is real and mine to love and nurture.  I cherish every moment, every late night nursing session, every dirty diaper, every time I heft her car seat to and fro.  I don't think it is possible to be more grateful than I am.  I wonder how long this will last.  Hopefully forever.

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful. :) I wish we could know the endings, too ... but that would make the journey less interesting, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so incredibly glad that it worked out, too. I hope that you (and I!) never lose the overwhelming gratitude, but that the sense that this was a mistake fades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a lovely post. It would be so nice to ease the anxiety by knowing what would happen. When I had my first daughter I freaked out after worrying that something would happen to her and she would vanish. I still sometimes worry but it is not the anxiety inducing worry and I am better at pushing those thoughts back. Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still feel like someone will come and take M away from me,

    I think I know how you feel. In August of last year, I had a missed miscarriage followed by a D&C (didn't blog about it and likely never will). It was devastating -- I felt completely betrayed by my body, ashamed, and a failure. Even though I got pregnant again in early October and am about to have a baby the end of June, I don't think I have ever fully recovered from that miscarriage and can still not believe that this baby will be coming really soon. Even though I have two children already and everything has been going great so far... I have been having the most awful nightmares and have been completely paranoid this entire pregnancy.

    I cannot even imagine how much strength it takes to battle infertility for years. I have experienced just a glimpse of this hardship and it was devastating... I am in awe of you and all women who keep fighting it after repeated heartbreaks. I am sending you all big warm hugs and best vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. During my pregnancy with my little miracle baby I couldn't bring myself to think of him as a real person- held off on decorating his room and even after he was born carried the feelings of anxiety, fear and worry that he would be ok.

    He just turned 2 and he is an amazing little boy- I still cry at every little cute thing he does, but I feel like he is mine and was so meant to be... and I believe I live more in the moment because of my losses (I too have not blogged about this...but will be soon with the help of a friend).

    So painful, but so important for women to share their experiences to help others. So glad I found your blog, I just started blogging myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the way you feel. I have a miracle baby, I was just about to start with a fertility specialist and then he somehow made it through my one "kinked" fallopian tube. I have also experienced loss, grief and feeling angry at my body.
    I can offer some hope, he is now 2 and I know he is SO mine, the things he says just shocks me. I appreciate all the moments and I believe I am more mindful when i spend time with him b/c of the sadness I experienced before his birth.

    I remember having the same feelings that someone would take him away, before and after he was born. 2 years later, I know he is here to stay.

    ReplyDelete