That was the question of the day from my mom.
She breastfed my older sister for a few days and decided she hated it, and didn't try at all with me.
She hasn't said anything overtly against my breastfeeding Mads, but some of her choice quotes give it away...
"How long are you going to do this?"
"Well it will be really amusing to see the breast pump when you visit this summer."
"And your breasts are large and uncomfortable I'm sure."
"Does it feel weird to have someone sucking on you like a parasite?"
Thankfully she lives very far away and I have a lot of people who are very, very supportive of my nursing Mads. I have a feeling it is going to be a long and lonely 2 week visit when I go later this summer.
Have any of you had mastitis that cleared up on its own? I think I have a pretty mild case. I had a little bit of a fever on Sunday night and now feel ok but have the redness on my left breast and it feels like a bruise. Should I go to the doctor anyway? I read in the LLL book that it can clear up on it's own and doesn't always require antibiotics.
Aren't mothers the greatest? *dripping sarcasm* My mom always has some zingers for me too - it's why she cut her trip short this past Mother's Day. You keep breastfeeding, you're doing the best thing in the world for your baby and anyone, ANYONE who would side-eye you about it can take a flying leap.
ReplyDeleteI've never had mastitis *knockonwood* so I can't help there, but I hope it clears up on its own for you!
I would suggest going to the doctors since your milk supply is an important part of Mads day! You're doing an incredible job!!
ReplyDeleteOMG those comments need some serious come backs...
"Is it odd to see your daughter being a better mother than you?"
"Jealous much?"
"the only passive about your passive aggressive comments is your assumption that I give a shit"
"up yours"
"I appreciate your feedback. I shall add it to the long list of other motherly advice you have given me"
shall I go on?? I am so mad at your mum!!!
Let us know about the mastitis.
Ha! My mom said the same thing, she BFed me and my brother (not exclusively, back then it was water from birth, applesauce by 2 months) for 3 months, but me trying to make it to 6 months clearly is crazy to her. Actually, no one in my circle of friends has made it as long as me, I feel like a freak sometimes. My brother said to me "are you gonna be one of those people still Bfing a toddler?" Nice.
ReplyDeleteAnd if you are having fever, I'd go to the doc for the mastitis. I had it in both boobs, a mild case, but it went away quickly with the meds. And I BF throughout with no real issues for the Critter Girl. You don't want to wait for it to get worse when it can be easily treated.
I had mastitis with baby No 2 and had to have antibiotics when I ended up with 102 fever and terrible chills and shivering -- it was like a really bad case of the flu. Someone said with mastitis you feel like you were run over by a truck -- I found it was an accurate description.
ReplyDeleteIf you don't have a fever, it could be just a badly plugged duct in which case just massage the red spot under a warm shower repeatedly until it clears. But if your fever returns I'd go see a doctor.
I have never had mastitis. Thrush in my breast yes, if you get that I can help lots. My suggestion would be get an rx so if you need it you can use it. Especially, if you are going out of town before it clears up.
ReplyDeleteWhen your mom asks this summer, tell her you plan to nurse till you child is 4 or 5. Maybe that will get her off your back for a bit. ha ha. A good friend of mine did till her boy was 4.5. I did till 20 months. Easiest ween EVER!
I'm really proud of you for sticking with it. And super jealous you make so much milk!!!!
I plan to close my blog soon but would like to invite you to my IRL blog. If you are interested email me.
Breast milk is the best... keep doing it and don't listen to anyone. Hugs.
ReplyDelete