The last week has felt like several weeks. So many things to juggle, from final exams to last-minute letters of recommendations to the hurried job candidate to had to interview this week because she's 32 weeks pregnant and lives in Norway. And add in the personal life things, my sister and parents in town, my sister leaving, my parents still here. While I love them, they need babysitting and that's a little stressful. Plus, keeping my mom in a good mood is a bit like walking on eggshells. You never quite know what she wants but if she doesn't get it then she seriously pouts for hours. And if you suggest the wrong thing... oh la la.
On top of all of this I am starting to believe that I'm going to have a baby. Really, deep down believing. And I am so incredibly happy that it brings tears to my eyes when I have time to think about it. I would love nothing more than to spend hours sitting on the couch feeling her move around.
I feel wonderful these days. I have a feeling this won't last as I get bigger, but it is fun at this point to have trouble getting up when I sit on the floor, to be careful about not using much soap in most places as my skin is quite dry, to chuckle a little when my big belly runs into things. I have to remember to put my feet up on occasion, and to stop and rest. My belly reminds me when I've done too much. I get this weird light pain right at the top. It's external and light and I think it's just muscles and ligaments, and it goes away if I sit quietly for a few minutes. I think it is a little alarm going off. It's little M telling me to sit down and pay attention to her, as she always moves around a bit once I do.
I think I've only gained 2 pounds over the last few weeks, and I feel like I'm doing well on the taking-care-of-myself front. I am not all that hungry these days, but that will likely pass soon too.
And I am so ridiculously eager to reach the end of the semester. I have zero patience for the complaining students who think they should get a better grade on this paper or that exam because they really like the class. This seems like a particularly annoying year student-wise. Not sure if it is them or me. Every time I turn around someone needs something from me. A quick tour around the lab, sign a card for this person retiring, a donation for this holiday party, write-up someone else's review, arrange for someone else to get a key to this room, etc. etc. etc. And I just want to be left alone.
While I yearn for some quiet alone time, I also know that it is better for me psychologically to have so much going on. I only have enough time to cherish little M and not obsess about all of the things that can go wrong. That's a good thing.
3 days away from the 3rd trimester.
I am so happy that you are doing so well-- seriously, stay away from the negative thoughts-- I indulged and now I regret it. I am glad you have more sense!
ReplyDeleteThe big belly still comes as a surprise to me-- really, I can't fit between that person and the door anymore? Thwack. Uh, no. :)
I'm glad to hear that you're not so hungry either! I have my old appetite back, meaning I'm not chew-my-arm-off starving all the time and I wonder if that's okay. I get pains too if I do too much - you're probably right, it is the baby telling you to slow down. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited that you're almost to the third trimester! The finish line is getting closer...
Wow.. I can't believe you are approaching the 3rd trimester in a few days.. When I started following your blog, you were just in the first trimester.. time flies. I'm happy for you.
ReplyDeleteEven though things are so busy, its probably a good thing, it sounds like. Best wishes and congrats on being 3 days away. I know what a cranky mom is like. Right now I'm actually plugging my one ear with my finger as I type - so much screaming is happening over here. Can't wait to get back to my own routine - probably how you feel about the semester ending!
ReplyDeleteYou sound great -- I'm so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the almost 3rd trimester, and be sure to rest when you need to!
Wow ... third trimester! Congratulations! That flew by. I agree about the end of the semester ... I actually didn't show up at our division's holiday party because I'm just tired of people. My midwife, by the way, assures me that the pain is just ligaments stretching ... I had them too, and lower down in my groin. They're gone, but it's still a useful reminder to slow down. ;)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on reaching trimester #3!!! So glad to hear you're doing well and hoping things settle down for you here very soon! Sounds like you have some very good reasons to be feeling impatient with your students this semester!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words! Hoping things continue smoothly for you and you enjoy the semester break!