Women can accomplish other things while holding a baby but men can't (i.e., laundry, make lunch)?
Babies always wake up and fuss exactly when you sit down to eat?
A brand of the apron-like things you can buy to provide some privacy when you nurse in public is called "hooter hiders"? I kid you not.
Whenever I go through some experience that should win me lots of compassion and baby-ing, my Dh always one-ups me so that I have to suck it up and baby him instead?
My FIL passed away last Tuesday. We are driving down to be with Dh's mom. M is being really good, for a three week old. Because MIL hates when people spend money we can't stay in a hotel when we get there but rather had to pack sleeping bags and towels and all the baby things I thought we might need for a week so that we can stay in one of the empty trailers in this little mobile home community they live in. And I have to stock the kitchen and cook for a week. I have no idea what to expect in terms of cleaning. There really is a price for convenience and ease, which I would gladly pay given little M's age and my inexperience as a mom. But the woman's husband just died, so her dislike of our spending money on "convenience" trumps my new baby.
Oh, and Dh hurt his back getting M's carseat in the car the other day so I have to lift and carry everything, including the baby.
It is going to be a great week, but at least I have a hooter hider to make me laugh while all the old people scowl at me for nursing in public.
Yes, I have noticed all of these things! I actually had this conversation with my DH this weekend, after he asked me to take the baby so he could get himself breakfast. I asked him what he thought I did when I have to eat - where does the baby go when he's not home? The next morning I found him making himself breakfast while holding the Critter. Ha, maybe you can teach an old husband new tricks!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about your FIL passing away, I hope you and your DH are doing ok. Fingers crossed that the accommodations are clean and livable.
I'm sorry about your FIL. The week certainly sounds like it will have it's share of challenges, but I am sure it will go fine overall. At least you get a private trailer-- I bet the neighbors (if they are all older-- usually they are) will be surprised to hear a crying baby at night! Hopefully they'll be a little deaf... :) My downstairs neighbor is older, and we're hoping he is a bit deaf-- not that P cries a LOT, but we run the vacuum to keep her calm, and that could get annoying!
ReplyDeleteI've definitely noticed all those things except the sympathy award contest... E doesn't go in for sympathy much, either way!
The fussing during or worse yet, RIGHT before dinner thing is really uncanny.
I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL.
ReplyDeleteBut.
Could you PRETEND to stay in the trailer but sneak out each night after MIL is safely asleep and stay in a hotel? You deserve the Daughter-in-Law and Wife of the Year Awards for all that you are willing to do/put up with, my friend! The hooter hider is hilarious! (a little alliteration for you!) And Mr. Hatter is a One-upper also, so I totally feel your pain!
Take care and I hope the week goes by quickly and painlessly...
Love,
Maddy
The Hooter Hider cracks me up! Sounds like you literally have your hands full, with two babies ;) I hope this week goes by fast and without a hitch. Sorry you have to stay in the mobile home, having to filler her up doesn't sound very pleasant.
ReplyDeleteDude! I'm beyond sorry that your FIL died, I really seriously am. For real.
ReplyDeleteBut STOCKING A TRAILER from top to bottom with a new baby? No way! Come on! Stay in a hotel - that way you can be more present for your MIL, not on your hands and knees scrubbing a dirty floor in some random trailer?
Especially b/c your hubby is indisposed? Which I soooo sympathize with - if I have a headache, then Drew is having a brain aneurysm. If I have the sniffles, he has pneumonia. If I stub my toe, his foot has gangrene and is about to fall off. It's awesome. :-/
This isn't about you deserving mother of the year or bending over backwards for your MIL - this is about the comfort of your baby, who trumps everything and everybody!
Of course it's so easy for me to talk - my inlaws are staying in my house indefinitely starting Wednesday. While I have vehemently spoken up on many occasions, they're still coming.
Big hugs to you girl! I'm so sorry that you have to do this!
I was going to say "amen, sister" to your first few comments ... but the rest of it ... UGH. SO unfair. I'm sorry for your family's loss and that you have to do that with a three week old baby ... :(
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your FIL. I hope your husband is ok. Also bummer about his back, hope it heals fast.
ReplyDeleteI recall the post you did about the Il's and food and such. I hope it goes ok. Good luck. I'm thinking about you.
I am so sorry for the loss of your FIL. I'm with Mad Hatter, can you pretend you are staying in a trailer and sneak away to an hotel?
ReplyDeleteI, too, hear you with the one-upmanship. Last year I had a breast lump removed but A couldn't do the dishes because he'd cut his finger...
Hope your week passes as smoothly as possible.