I have been a bit overwhelmed with life lately, thinking lots about all of my blog sisters out there, composing posts in my head, but never finding the time or emotional energy to actually sit down and post.
It's so easy to get into that place, isn't it?
And then something happens.
I was at a meeting today with faculty and staff -- a rare "community-wide" meeting (without students) that we have maybe once every few years, at most. After the meeting a woman who I know only a little, and only in how great she is at what she does, she calls out to me and asks to see my bracelet.
Since a few days after Maddy was born I have worn a pomegranate colored thread around my wrist, and then later moved to this bracelet. I have it tied around my wrist and never take it off, so it's looking pretty ragged these days.
The woman said that her friend makes them... I paused, not sure if she was saying that she was in the IF community or if there might be another pomegranate movement I don't know about. I have been completely mum about my IF life in my non-web-world. Completely.
But I asked her if she was a part of "that" world and she said yes, unfortunately. I gave her a big hug because I just didn't know what else to do, and we hugged for a bit longer than is usually socially acceptable. I wonder what all the other people in the room were thinking when they saw that. Whatever.
We are having lunch together on Friday. I still feel a bit tingly about it all. I don't have any experience talking about this side of my life in person, so this will be strange. I am kind of scared about losing my secret to someone in person. But I am oddly really looking forward to it.
What a wonderful opportunity! I hope that this turns into a wonderful friendship. And I really love that bracelet.
ReplyDeleteI love that bracelet, too. How lucky for that woman that you were willing to wear it, and bear (even silent) witness in public. I hope that you enjoy the conversation, and that it's a relief to *talk* to someone about what it's like to live in this world!
ReplyDeleteWow...that's so awesome. I've been thinking of you so much, InB...missing your posts and comments...but I understand you're so busy now. I'm so glad you have found someone to share with - let us know how your lunch went!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Maddy