When I signed on to the idea of having a baby, no one mentioned that I might spend the next 3 years spending as much time and emotional energy trying to get pregnant as if I had been raising a kid for the last 3 years (but with nothing to show for it).
When I sat at the dr's office after the miscarriage, everyone said this was sad, but no one told me that I'd fall into a severe depression that would rob me of all joy for like a year. So I kept thinking I'd get pregnant again quickly and snap out of it. Realized after 9 months that that plan was not going to work.
When I decided to go to an RE, no one told us that the hormonal supplements for a regular cycle really don't increase the likelihood for a 38 year old woman getting pregnant beyond 2-3% per month. So we tried this for 3-4 months. Can you say, "placebo"? and "wasted time"?
When I opted for the better odds of IVF, no one said that it'd take over 6 months before we could even make our first attempt.
When we actually got to start the IVF cycle, I was given the impression that the stimulants were the scariest part drug-wise. Boy was that wrong.
Maybe the stimulants were the worst part from a physiological perspective, or from what the dr sees. But from my perspective, the pain in my ass from the progesterone shots is beyond anything I was warned of.
I can't sit without pain, I can't walk without pain, and I can't lay down without pain. In fact, my gluteus maximus aches all the time. It's like I did way too many reps of a way too heavy weight at the gym.
And I don't have any progesterone-y symptoms. Maybe I'm just shooting progesterone oil shots in my butt but my body isn't absorbing them.
So last night I decided to try giving myself the shot a little lower in the circle sharpied onto my backside to see if that might hurt less.
Let me tell you, that was a mistake. I must have had the needle angled weird or something because the pain is much lower and it really hurts to move my hip (i.e., walk, stand up, move position). From what I know of anatomy, I couldn't have messed anything up. And if I'd hit a nerve it would hurt down my leg.
I'm sitting here thinking to myself that this is just getting ridiculous. If I knew for sure that this would work, then ok. But for a 20% chance? I don't know. I'm not much of a gambler. Are these good enough odds?
I have spent so much time, money, and--most importantly--emotional energy on this baby project and still have nothing to show for it. Who knew that trying to have a baby is probably harder than having one?
(ok, naive statement, but let me wallow)
Trying to have a baby is a totally different brand of hard than having one. It's a hard that is not rewarding unless you get to move to the other side.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the progesterone; I'd heard horror stories about PIO but didn't have much difficulty with it. The nurse told me I'm small enough that I didn't need to stick the needle in all the way, as long as I was sure to get it in the muscle. I know some women swear by icing the area.... I hope you find something that helps.
I agree with this 100%. I used to think, "oh just do ivf" or "oh miscarriages are common and therefore no big deal", what the hell was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the hardest thing in the world!
ReplyDeleteAs for the POI, two things:
1. use a heating pad for 10-15 min after giving yourself a shot. I have also been told to warm the shot itself up by rubbing it between your hands so the oil itself goes in more smoothly
2. I apparently am allergic to progesterone oil so they give me progesterone is ethyl oleate, whch I think is synthetic oil. So much better. That stuff is much thinner and hurst so much less. It is not very expensive (about $100 per vial) perhaps your clinic will be willing to switch you. I have never been so thankful for a medication allergy in my life!
Wishing you tons of luck!!!
Oh man. My new clinic uses PIO instead of suppositories, and now I am scared. Because I know (despite the fact that I haven't tested) that I am not pregnant now.
ReplyDeleteBut you are right -- this is way way harder than I ever imagined, and there's limited societal sympathy for it (unlike for those with kids, our lot apparently looks easy.)
Feel better -- we are here with you!
Coming to you from Mad Hatter's blog & noticed your very succinct comment on high stim treatment protocol. Thank you for that! Hopefully you will too succeed with your RE's help & positive attitude. As far as the injection pain is concerned...has your clinic suggested EMLA cream? It is a mild cream anesthetic that helps dull the pain somewhat. My wife & I went through IVF too, ironically, and we used a couple of tubes. She was 38 when she went through her cycle. We ended up with our one and only IVF child 12 years ago & she is our pride and joy. Glad to see that you are not wasting time! Good luck! EJR, MD
ReplyDeleteIsn't Dr. Ramirez the best!? Seriously, someone give this man an award of some kind! :-)
ReplyDeleteinBetween, this is a heart-wrenching and very well-written post. I've never had to do the PIO shots, but that cream Dr. R mentions sounds pretty good to me! I hope you can get some!
Thinking of you.
Love,
Maddy
So sorry you're feeling this way. I agree, this is the hardest thing I've ever encountered in my life. It's a big gamble but look what the jackpot is. A chance at a child of your own is pretty special. Hang in there.
ReplyDelete(psttt...was that Dr. Lovely? I might swoon!)