About 5 years ago I had a bad neck injury that landed me in surgery followed by years of physical therapy (PT). I ended up in a fantastic group PT class that I kept going to long after my neck was well because I really enjoyed the company of the other women and the physical therapist (though the continued maintenance has been good for my neck too).
There are three of them that I particularly bonded to. All of them are in their early 50s with children between 17 and 27. So they are in a very different place in life than I where I've been for the last 5 years, but it was always my weekly sanity check to get to laugh with them, be outraged with them, hear stories about their children. They were the only people outside my family who knew about the miscarriage, and one of them was the only person who sent me a condolence card. It meant the world to me.
I stopped going to PT in May because of scheduling conflicts, and then was afraid to for emotional and pregnancy reasons (hiding and fragility).
Last night we all got together to make blankets for a Christmas charity thing one of them organizes (worthy of a post itself when we get closer to December).
They all know about my pregnancy as I wrote them emails a few weeks ago, so there were lots of congratulations and stories and laughs. The lady who sent me the card brought me a little Beatrix Potter book and two swaddling blankets, my first baby gift.
On one level I loved it all. It was so nice to be a part of this "motherhood club". But at a fundamental level, I was extremely uncomfortable. It just didn't feel right. I can't quite put my finger on why, but here are some possible reasons I've come up with:
1) I feel like an imposter. Since I had to work so freaking hard to get pregnant, it's kind of like I cheated my way into the club. I don't really belong there since I didn't get there "naturally".
2) It feels premature. Shouldn't we wait until I actually produce a baby before we celebrate? I could easily lose this one too; we are nowhere near the finish line.
3) I can't relate to that innocent attitude towards pregnancy, the one where a pregnant woman has a baby and it is all laughs and sorority over the crazy symptoms on your way to motherhood.
I keep kicking myself for not jumping in and forgetting the past, but I can't. I just can't shake the last three years. In some ways I wonder if I love this baby more because I have been on an incredible journey to find her. Maybe I'll be a better mother because of what I've been through. I shouldn't worry about trying to be an innocent positive pregnant lady when that just isn't me anymore.
I don't know. There are no answers to all of this. But last night, when I was driving home all I could think of was all of you and how I wanted to write about this on my blog. I wanted to tell you that I feel an overwhelming need to take all of us in my arms and give us a big hug, the kind that a large-busted rose-scented grandma would give you, and tell us that it will be ok. It will all be ok. And even though none of the details between here and ok are worked out, we all believe it because that hug feels so damn good and reassuring. We all deserve that hug.
I cried this morning when I unfolded the swaddling blankets and let myself think about how that soft pink blanket with ducks and hearts on it just might get to be wrapped around my baby in 6 months... it was pretty overwhelming.
Naturally, smaturally. Pregnant is pregnant and you're PREGNANT girl!!!! I understand different emotions coming up. And I hope you'll accept a rose scented hug right back to you!
ReplyDeleteThat was very sweet of your friend. One word of advice. You are getting far along and doing great. Try to enjoy it. There is ALWAYS more worry once they arrive.
ReplyDeleteI was pregnant with twins for about two weeks with my first child, one twin disappeared around 5 weeks and I had constant spotting. My dr told me I had a 50% of losing the second. I worried most of the time and really feel like I missed the joy of the experience.
Although I feel like crap this time around I am trying really hard to enjoy what I can for as long as I can. That said pregnancy is hard and I will be happy to never be pregnant again when this one gets here. :)
Enjoy being pregnant. You only deserve the best. You give me hope that this can work. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteN's right ... there will always be something to worry about. But I can completely identify ... it's hard to "enjoy" being pregnant. And honestly, right now the rest of my life is so busy that being pregnant is just sort of something happening on the side. I suspect you're in a similar place.
ReplyDeleteBut you're not an impostor. And while you will never experience pregnancy with the innocence of so many other women, your experience may just be richer for that appreciation of the darkness, too. You're doing great.
I know what you mean on both levels-- hanging out with a bunch of women who you enjoy, even though you no longer need the support for the actual reason that you joined the group in the first place (which is how I feel here in the IF blogs), and also feeling very grouchy about people's cluelessness about how bad and wrong things can go when it comes to pregnancy. When people are really excited for me and my pregnancy, I get a knee-jerk reaction of annoyance, because a) we don't know things will end well, and this journey can lead to either heaven or hell, and b) would you, enthusiastic person, be so attentive to me if I had lost a baby??? not freaking likely.
ReplyDeleteSo, the annoyance. Sigh. Oh well. Once the baby is here, maybe we'll be more likely to want the oohs and aahs!
I will see your hug and raise you two hugs! I'm so with you on everything.
ReplyDeleteI too feel like once I got here I would be over the moon and rainbows and butterflies but it's been terrible. So bad I've stopped blogging.
I never thought it would be like this.
6 months? I think we might be due around the same time. I'm having a girl too. :-)
in response to your comment, I don't know... I mean, I know you are right and I absolutely do not regret this at all. I desperately wanted a baby and would never be happy without one. And now, I am blissfully happy most of the time. However, part of me is sad that I didn't get to do those things. I worked on a California species for my dissertation, and now I am just working with sequences and such, so I never got that exotic adventure that working in behavioral ecology promised. And I do kinda feel like I missed out!! Maybe I will get to do it later, but part of me doesn't think so. I feel like I am getting less interested in science and my career and more family-focused. I know it's all hormonal, but I can't help it! Anyways, I just wanted to say that I think you are incredibly lucky to have gotten to do both. I guess I could have waited longer, but my hormones were just not allowing that!!! :)
ReplyDeleteMixed emotions are hard when everyone is expecting you to just be happy and not worry.
ReplyDeleteA big hug for you. It's easy for someone else to say "don't worry, enjoy it!". I hope you can get there, because you deserve it.