Thursday, April 8, 2010

resilience gained

So, the momentous occasion came and went with an amazing amount of anticlimax.  And today, the day after the anticlimax (no pun intended) is just as anticlimatic.

How strange that we work and worry for a day on which very little actually happens, and then face NOTHINGNESS after.

Nothingness is the time when you can't plan for anything specific.  You can't even plan for things next week or 6 months from now or next year.  Everything has to stay in limbo, flexible, up-in-the-air.

You have to be a flake at work, a flake in your personal life, and even to yourself.  The only "person" in my life who doesn't suffer from any of it in one way shape or form, either known or unbeknownst, is the kitty cat.  In fact, I think he rather likes the wallowing parts.

But I'm not wallowing today.  I wasted hours yesterday on the internet looking for answers that don't exist to a question that is unanswerable for 13 more days, or 6 more weeks, or for every cycle from here to menopause until I give up.

Today I will finish revising that manuscript that's been sitting on my desk for more than a year after facing rejection from Science, Nature, PNAS, and even a more specialized journal.  It's the best work I've ever done, but, and this may sound paranoid, my enemies in this contentious field are far and wide.  So I've picked the manuscript back up, dusted off the frustration, and will try again.

It's really hard to be resilient, but after 2 years of IF I'm getting a lot better at it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the waiting. Seriously its the time when there is nothing to do, but yet you have to keep all options open and available, that are the worst. Sounds like dusting off the article is a perfect way to make the time fly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete