Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The dreaded cyst

Yesterday I had my baseline appointment to start an IVF cycle, my first after the last one was cancelled.

I foolishly told dh that it was going to be uneventful, as what can go wrong in a baseline appointment?

roll in the evil sarcastic laugh at my naivete...  heh heh heh

Yep, there they were, two big cysts on my left ovary that signals the end of the hope for an IVF cycle.

Cruel fucking joke.

So I started all of this very serious ART in December with the goal of having it all said and done in March.  DONE.  On to whatever was in store for me.

But NOOOOOOOOO.  Why would that plan work out for me? 

So I first had to deal with the septate uterus, which meant surgery after 20 days of some drug followed by 30 days of a really high dose of estrogen. 

This was followed by the abject failure of an IVF attempt that yielded only 3 follicles, so we did an IUI.  Which of course, did not work.

But then we were happy that we could take extremely expensive ganirelix to put off my next cycle by a week so that we could go on a long-ago schedule business trip (that I really couldn't miss).  I paid over $1,000 for those drugs...

Only to find out yesterday that I think I was mis-instructed on how to take them, as the doctor seemed surprised when I said my ganirelix start date.  I followed the nurses calendar to a T, including even doing a dissertation committee meeting by conference call while I waited for the Fed Ex to arrive with my new drugs. 

So here I sit with the dilemma of having to decide how to play out my summer.  Field work?  Remember I was adamant that I'd go no matter what?  Yeah, right.  Now that "no matter what" includes the distinct possibility that I won't have even gotten to try ONE IVF.  Fuck.  I really, really, really hate IF. 

But I love having you all here to listen and to help me lick my wounds.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am soo so sorry. In addition to the many billion of things that suck about IF, I think the part that I didn't expect is how things can go wrong at so many different times and in so many different ways. I guess because ART breaks down the process into all of its tiny component steps and tries to control them, there are just more places for things to get profoundly fucked up.

    And I am very very sorry that they have gotten fucked up for you. Did they suggest bcps to help make the cyst go away?
    Also, if you think you were given incorrect instructions, you should totally tell your RE about that. It doesn't really make a difference, I know, but it might make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I have a phone call planned with my RE tonight and will ask about the ganirelix. Not that it matters at this point, but still... Yep, I started the BCP today. Have you had this before? How long did it take to clear up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I'm sorry. I've also had cysts coming off injectable cycles. From what I know Ganirelix doesn't delay your cycle, though if used in the luteal phase it can put you in a "holding pattern" until you're ready to start stimulation. At what point in your cycle did you start taking it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a cyst from lupron my first ivf cycle and the bcps cleared it up within a week. Of course by then the cycle conflicted with thanksgiving travel plans so I had to delay another 3 weeks. UGH. Sorry again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. I'm so sorry. This is absolutely terrible!! Are you going to get to the bottom of the meds issue? It certainly doesn't seem fair that you weren't instructed properly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started taking ganirelix on day 1. does that seem right?

    Wow. I hope mine clears up quickly like IE's. Do they monitor you for this, or just wait 3 weeks and bring you back in? Maybe I can ask to come in regularly...

    ReplyDelete