Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Things we love to do

I'm a bit inspired to share something that is, for once, not at all IF related.  I've been envying my blog sisters that are creative and totally seem to be finding some peace in sharing this.

So, here's my go.

I am not a great cook but have recently started taking it up.  I'm all for easy, and all for healthy, and all for tasty. 

I found a wonderful soup recipe that is surprisingly delish. Now before you see the title, I have to tell you that my husband and I hate cooked carrots, but this is really freaking good.  I promise.  (But in all honesty, I have no idea why I decided to try it in the first place given my dislike of carrots...)

Carrot Soup

Chop up one small white onion (for about 1 cup)

Saute this over medium heat in about 2 T butter in a pot you can cook the soup in.

After they are close to translucent, add 1 lb chopped up carrots.  I buy a 1lb bag of baby carrots and cut them into four pieces each. 

Then immediately add 2.5 cups chicken broth and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of allspice.

Let this simmer for about 20 minutes (or more -- 20 minutes is enough, just need to make the carrots soft, but I left it on the stove for 40 minutes last night and it made no taste differenct).

Then spoon the carrots and all the liquid into a blender and blend until its nice and smooth.

Return to pot and add 1 T honey, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (or just 1, I like it kind of with a slight bite to it), and whisk. 

You may want to add some salt and pepper to taste, especially if you used low- or no-sodium broth.  I forgot to add it last night and it was still really good, although if the salt shaker had been next to me I would have added a pinch to my bowl.  Dh likes less salt than I do so he was happy.

Serve into bowls and then add a dollop of either sourcream, or my preference is plain yogurt.  A shake or two of cumin on top and voila!

Along with some bread this is enough for a light dinner for 2 people, or will serve 4 as a starter dish.  And it keeps in the fridge well for a few days.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Sounds good, though I'm not inclined to make soup right now!

    What's going on with your upcoming IVF.... are you on estrace or something now? I've got the anti-estrogen headache from hell at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Although its 92 degrees here today, so I have to wait until it's cooler!

    I have found that cooking is a great way to distract myself from not being pregnant. Baking, too. Every bfn is a new cake recipe, which I then consume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMmmmmm. I make a carrot soup almost exactly like this, except without the honey. We love it too! Please share more good recipes! Another good, easy one is the La Madeleine Tomato-Basil soup (recipes online). 4 ingredients, hardly any prep, and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, sounds good! I'm not much of a cook but I might have to try that one.

    By the way, in response to your earlier post about hoping or not hoping, I'm coming down firmly on the side of hope, with a generous dollop of contingency planning.

    I think that's one of the things I hate most about IF is the way it twists your reality around until it suddenly feels like a bad thing to be hopeful. I say hope is good. It's what gets us out of bed in the morning and keeps us putting one foot in front of the other. At least, that's how it works for me. I may be bruised and beaten down, but I haven't given up yet.

    ReplyDelete