Friday, September 17, 2010

coffee

I stopped by the little cafe on the way to work today and ordered a cup of decaf.  I ran into a very chatty colleague and forgot to double check with the clerk that he gave me decaf.  I am quite sure he did not, as I feel completely disgusting and wired...  All I can advise is that for people who have not had caffeine in a long time, a half a cup of regular coffee is not a good idea.  No, not a good idea at all... 

4 comments:

  1. This happened to me, too! When I was at my conference this summer. I was in the lobby area between talks, sipping (supposedly decaf) coffee and chatting with colleagues I hadn't seen in a while, and suddenly I was pouring sweat and having a sort-of out-of-body experience! It was awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep -- totally been there. And then it was followed by panicky attempts to google how much caffeine is safe per day when pregnant and then figure out how much caffeine was in my brand of not-really-decaf coffee.

    But I'm totally nuts. It's fine. It's one cup.

    Drink lots of water. Best way to get it out of your system. Sorry you feel crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! That's too bad! Hope it's out of your system and you're already feeling better. By the way, I sometimes wonder about decaf - I've heard it's full of chemicals from removing the caffeine...do you know anything about this? I had a decaf mocha latte today and it was yummy and I would like to be able to have more without guilt!
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has happened to me more than once ... even if I *do* double check! And then, of course, if you're like me (and I'm like irrationalexuberance), you start having an anxiety attack about what you've done to your babe-in-utero. But I'm sure it's fine ... and I agree with the "lots of water" approach.

    ReplyDelete