As I go through the efforts to try to have a child in my late 30s, and will be 40 when I give birth (fingers crossed), I have become quite sensitive and annoyed by the idea that women my age are "too old" to have children.
In response to this notion, I write this post.
Pardon my language but this notion of "too old" is bullshit. It is probably worth a couple PhD dissertations to track down when our culture changed its ideals for a woman's childbearing years, but I'm guessing that it correlations highly with the introduction of effective and widespread use of birth control pills.
If you just go back a couple of generations in our own culture women were giving birth often into their early 40s. I looked through old family history books and the majority of my female relatives had at least one child between 39 and 43.
My current bed time reading is "A Midwife's Tail: The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on her Diary, 1785-1812." In it she talks about one woman who had a child at 45 as if this were nothing weird at all (save that the woman was apparently pretty unhappy about this event). But then again, this is in a time when women had 8-10 children so she was probably getting tired of babies, not that she was too old to have one...
James Wood wrote a book on human reproduction about cultures that don't practice birth control. The average age of a woman when she had her last child in these cultures? 39. And that's the AVERAGE, meaning that there is variation on either side of that number.
I recently finished a biography of Queen Elizabeth I. It was really interesting to hear that her advisers and other government officials all over Europe deemed her fertile and marriage-eligible until she was in her early 40s.
So all these "old" people need to just back off. If birth control enabled women to not get pregnant in the later part of their fertile years after they reached the number of children they wanted to have, then it is perfectly reasonable and appropriate that other women would do the same practice but in the opposite, i.e., use birth control to avoid having the children at the beginning of their reproductive years in order to just have one or two later in their reproductive years.
I'm sorry you are getting some flack for starting a family at 39 (although of course you tried to start a couple of years earlier). That's not fair! I had both my mom and my grandma make comments about how I am 'old', and I am only 33!!! My mom had her last child at 32, so I don't know what she's talking about. But yeah, in my mom's generation, she was even an older mom. But it seems like in our generation, 30-40 seems both reasonable and common. Even though there is a lot of media flack. "See, you waited too long!!" they like to say. Harumph.
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, there is NO age at which you are not too young or too old to have a family. It's ridiculous. If you start a family under 26 or 27, you're too young. If you start one over 30, you're too old. So basically everyone has to try to mold their lives (and bodies) to be perfectly poised to give birth at the age of 28-on-the-dot??? Please!
I hear ya, it's annoying.
I think it also has something to do with socialized medicine, and risk, and insurance ... once you're 35, they're practically standing over you with the amnio needle. Either way, BOO to people who think we're too old. (I'll be 37 when I give birth, if this all goes as it should.)
ReplyDeleteI agree the age issue can be frustrating, though my clinic is great. I was 35 when I got pregnant. I turned 36 a month after the m/c and at my next appointment they said there was no need to change a thing, that there is no 'magic' number when it comes to fertility so no need to proceed any differently now that I was 'past my prime'.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind offer on my blog. It is appreciated.
Frankly, people just need to back off in general on providing their input on your life decisions.
ReplyDeleteI'll be 40, too. Almost 41, actually. And while it does give me pause about having a second child, I think that it is AOK for this one. So THERE.
Just read your post (thanks!!) If you want to hear a funny story about how my attempt to buy a new bra to handle my ever-growing boobs caused me to throw up at the office, let me know. It was spectacular.
ReplyDeleteHERE, HERE!!! We're going to be kickass moms BECAUSE we're "old". Calmer, more patient, more of every thing good for a child. People who don't see me as a spring chick? Screw 'em! It's not their life.
ReplyDeleteSince I was over 35 at my due date, I was given the moniker of "advanced maternal age" and all that went with it. I've heard discussion that some docs are starting to use advanced maternal age for women over 30. It's not a new thing, this "women over 35 giving birth" thing - as you point out.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Paige - I think I am a better mother than I would have been at an earlier time in my life. I'm still far from the best mother in the world by a long shot!
Before I started my journey, I didn't feel "old", I felt ready. But after hearing and reading "advanced maternal age" and "plummeting" fertility statistics over and over, it's become hard not to keep those thoughts out of my head.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post-- it's some defense against a world that's in my face yelling "old eggs!"