Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Miscellaneous tidbits

1) I ate an entire large bag of flamin' hot cheetos on Sunday. 

2) Dh commented that my belly is going to be hard to hide for much longer, which makes me feel a bit guilty.  Is it the baby or the cheetos?  I did not confess the cheetos incident to Dh...

3) I tried to buy some maternity clothes about 10 days ago but for some reason could not find either of the two stores I set out to visit.  Neither of them was at the address listed on their website.  I almost broke into a serious crying fit.  Hard not to take it as a sign.

4) Dh, sensing my clothing angst actually gave me money (which he never does since we keep separate finances) and suggested that I order a whole bunch of stuff on line and just return what doesn't fit.  This is AMAZINGLY out of character for him, and AMAZINGLY sweet and supportive.  I love that man.  He even acts excited as each box arrives on the front stoop.

5) Dh's dad was in the hospital last week with pain from a ridiculously enlarged prostate gland and a PSA level about 20 times normal.  This is not good, as it follows his heart attack by just two months.  It changes a lot, and I feel terrible for Dh.  The only good thing about it is that we have both started to cling to our little baby even more, as she is the best news around our house these days. 

6) The little baby has a name already, and a really cute nickname, and has quickly become a pretty significant member of the family.  Luckily for me, she tends to advocate for whatever I want. :)

7) I continue to fight off the negativity.  It is hard, but so far the positive approach has not brought down the wrath of bad karma.  May it please please please stay that way. 

8) I'm 16 weeks today and loving every minute of it, including the fairly regular sciatic nerve pain, the thoracic back pain if I have to sit in a chair for more than 10 minutes, and the episodic round ligament shocks.  Seriously.  It all reminds me that I'm pregnant, and enduring discomfort feels like an act of love.  I can't do much else for her yet (save, perhaps, for not repeating the flamin' hot cheeto incident).

8 comments:

  1. I had a very similar maternity clothes shopping episode too. Mine also ended in tears. I ended up at Once Upon A Child and bought some seriously ugly used clothes just so I could have some maternity clothes.

    My mom felt bad for me and took me shopping. And I also bought a bunch online.

    Target has some good maternity tanks. I got a black one and a white one and wore them under almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it to 16 weeks!

    I'm having a similar clothing dilemma ... can't bring myself to buy new, and don't have anything from last time around because that was a summer pregnancy, and visited SIX consignment stores with no luck. I'm considering the burlap sack option.

    Also: ate an entire bag of Pirate Booty right around my 16th week. Baby wants Flamin' Hot Cheetos? Feed the babe Flamin' Hot Cheetos, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about Dh's dad...it's so hard to watch our parents age, but when they have health issues, too, it's heartbreaking.

    I'm glad you both have a silver lining to brighten your world - yay for fun on-line maternity shopping and double yay for 16 weeks!!

    XOXO
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate a whole package of bacon. Nitrite free, but still.... it was really tasty, though.

    I have yet to go to a maternity store. I have some handmedowns from a friend, who, unfortunately, is about a size 0, so all of her maternity stuff is XS and I am bursting out of it presently. But I'm afraid of going and starting to melt down, so I totally get your experience.

    I'm sorry to hear about dh's father -- it's so hard to support parents as they get older.... I hope the news gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your husband has this pregnancy to counterbalance some of the feelings he has about his dad aging. It's hard to see your parents get older.

    I agree, maternity clothes are ridiculously hard to find. And tend to be uglier than normal clothes, with very small selections. Good luck-- and check out places like forever21. Big, blousy tops are in style in such stores, and are pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at #1 - thanks for the Chuckle.

    how sweet of DH to give you money for shopping, I think its awesome to watch them change, soften, as they journey into fatherhood.

    Congrats on the 16 week marker - you have such a great outlook and attitiude about the pregnancy...I admire it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nearly burst into tears at lunch today because they put my burger on the wrong side of my plate (it was a square plate so I'm not TOTALLY crazy.) Yes, I turned the plate but that's totally not the point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Def. NOT the cheetos. 16 weeks sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete