Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The most frustrating thing about the internet

The most frustrating thing about the internet is that, no matter how long I search and how many new word combinations I come up with for Google, I still can't find the site that will tell me whether or not I'm going to have a baby. 

But I still spend hours and hours looking, just in case it is out there somewhere.

I sent a freak-out email to the nurse at my RE's office, and she very kindly made an appointment for me with my RE on Saturday.  I love her.  And have I mentioned that I love my RE?  Maybe she'll bring the little pumpkin seed some luck, since she is the one who conceived it for me in the first place.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, the internet is like your lifeline in these times, I know. E gets so mad at me as I plunge through waves of hope and despair, as I read accounts of things either turning out OK or ending horribly... But at least it passes the time.

    Congratulations on seeing the heartbeat! That is so great! I don't know what measurements should be for 7 weeks (did you find out how long your fetal pole-- er, baby :)-- was measuring?), but when I went in at around 6 weeks, I was 4.1mm, which the machine calculated as 6w1d. I don't know if that helps, as I don't know how fast it is supposed to grow. But those pregnancy week-by-week sites often tell you something about size, right?

    Here, I found this:
    "The fetal pole grows at a rate of about 1 mm a day, starting at the 6th week of gestational age. Thus, a simple way to "date" an early pregnancy is to add the length of the fetus (in mm) to 6 weeks. Using this method, a fetal pole measuring 5 mm would have a gestational age of 6 weeks and 5 days."

    from:
    http://www.baby2see.com/development/ultrasound_sonogram/first_trimester_scans.html

    Hopefully that will be reassuring and not just freak you out more! I'm sorry you had something to worry about, but I've read many many accounts online here about babies catching up. And I had something to worry about after both of my first scans too (first one- no yolk sac at 5 weeks. Second one- slow heart rate at 6 weeks). And yet things looked 100% fine at 10 weeks. Let's just hope they keep looking fine-- for both of us!!!

    Argh! I hate the first trimester!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey -- I thought I had cornered the market on complete batshit crazy? :-)

    It's good that you can go in again on Saturday. I am JEALOUS.

    PS -- if you find that website, can you check if it works for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know of any websites, but my doctor told me that u/s have up to a +/- 5 day error possibility in the first trimester because a lot depends on how the tech/doc chooses measurement. Off by 1 mm at any time can be off by a few days. All three of my pregnancies (one m/c and two full term) had to be u/s dated because my cycles are very long and inconsistent.

    Hopefully you'll get to go back soon for another look see. Change in growth is more consistent than absolute growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My understanding (from, like, eons ago) is that pregnancies can be very accurately dated to the millimter/day early on, but that accuracy is highly dependent upon the skills of the one doing the dating. None of that helps, of course, in actual practical terms :) How "small" was the fetal pole measuring? Glad you can get in for a reassurance appointment. I lived on them during early pregnancy with LG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The length was measured at 6mm, which would put it at 6w1day instead of the 6w6days it is supposed to be... That gets us into the +/-5 days Anonymous was told, but it's very on-the-edge from what I've read. I don't like it and have completely assumed doom. If IVF doesn't drive one completely batshit crazy then the first trimester most definitely will. I just want to go to sleep and wake up at week 13.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been reading but not posting lately. CONGRATS!

    I hope your RE can give you more answers on Saturday. And my fingers are crossed for a sticky baby for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm....you got me interested so I pulled out my ultrasound pics from LG. Looks like she measured 4mm at 6w1-2d, and that was spot on. So 6mm at 6w6d sounds pretty good. Hope you get some reassurance.

    ReplyDelete