Thursday, July 1, 2010

Because I love self-torture

I actually attended a baby shower for a colleague today.  I managed to stay an entire 20 minutes before I just had to get the hell out of there. 

I lost the stupid string game, you know the one where you guess the length of string needed to fit around the pregnant lady's belly?  Yea.  I actually participated.

And I ate chocolate cake.

When someone beside me said it was so wonderful how one of the male professors always brings his baby into work, I sniped, "yep, if I had a stay at home wife, I'd have babies to bring in too."

Oops.  After that, I figured it was time for me to leave.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah... I went to a baby shower for a good friend two days after my negative beta from IVF attempt #1. It sucked big time.

    Be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I attended one yesterday. For an unplanned and initially unwanted baby. I lost the string game, too. And the diaper mess game. And had my photo taken back-to-back with Miss Big Belly. Blech! I so understand your pain!

    How long til your beta, lady?

    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beta is tomorrow! It is weird to sit on the precipice of a BFN but have to wait to get the final result. It's like pulling off the band aid very, very, very slowly... as we all know oh too well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, what terrible timing!! I wish you good luck tomorrow. I think baby showers should be out lawed, you are lucky enough to have a baby, you do not need a party too!!
    crossing my fingers and toes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. As Dr. Lovely says, we must think positive! Hoping that you get a great beta!
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so lucky here (England) - we don't do baby showers so I have never had to attend one.

    Thinking of you, hope everything is good...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't do baby showers for that exact reason. The retarded games make me want to vomit - I went to my last baby shower for the rest of my life in November and it was painful. The hostess AND the guest of honor were both hugely pregnant and it was far too much.

    BTW, love the new blog design and I've read the past few posts - I hope you get good news today, although good for you for having cheer-me-up plans just in case.

    Oh PS - if we do move it will be to San Jose, CA. If that's the case, it'll be great to say I 'know' at least one person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ughh how I cannot stand to attend those things...the games, the cake, the bitterness you have to swallow with the jealousy topping. Ughh. Good luck with the beta!

    ReplyDelete