Wednesday, July 21, 2010

my crown-rump length obsession

I mentioned previously that my fetus is "measuring small".  It was measured at 6mm on Monday, which was 6 weeks 6 days (or 49 days gestational age, see explanation below). 

Just in case any of you out there ever get as obsessed with crown-rump length as I have, I have some good data for you.

Basically, my advice is to hell with the google searches.  Everything I found on basic google searches or even google scholar freaked the living daylights out of me to the point where I was a pathetic crying lump on the bathroom floor last night because my breasts don't hurt anymore.

I am lucky b/c I work at a very large university with a medical school and a fantastic library.  Unfortunately this isn't available to everyone.  That is really too bad because Dr. Google was making me totally freak out, suggesting that my fetus was almost a week behind on growth, and suggesting that there is no variation in very early fetal crown-rump length.  (While I logically knew that this could not possibly be true, emotionally I couldn't ignore it.)

I found a recently (2010) published paper in the journal "Ultrasound Obstetrics and Gynecology" (issue 35, pages 650-655) that is titled, "New crown-rump length curve based on over 3,500 pregnancies."  This was published by a bunch of doctors from various institutions in the UK.  Lead author is A. Pexsters.

I like him or her because this is what they told me.

At gestational age of 49 days (which is the number of days since CD1 of the last menstrual period), the average embryo was 8.0mm, and 90% of the 3,500 pregnancies ranged between 4.8mm to 11.5mm.

 (figure from the paper explaining what crown-rump length is)

All of these 3,500 pregnancies resulted in healthy babies.

This puts my little fetus at the lower end, but only about 2 days behind the mean and well within a comfortable range of variation for it's age.

I love libraries. 

I'll email a pdf of this article to anyone who wants it -- just let me know!

(btw, I'm still freaking out and preparing myself to be diagnosed with a miscarriage on Saturday, don't get me wrong here.  But this little piece of data at least got me off the floor.)

14 comments:

  1. No NO NO. Your pumpkin seed is healthy and FINE and going to live a long, happy life. And Google has never, ever made me feel better about anything medical, and in fact usually makes me feel nauseous and panicky. So please stay off the floor for a bit.
    (I feel terrible if I contributed to your anxiety. I'm really sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOO!!!! all of you helped, and I really appreciate it. I'm a crazy freaky lady, remember? If you told me that wearing my hair in pigtails would improve my chances for a successful birth, I'd do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you the very best of luck. Dr. Google is crazy making, I hopeyou get some reassuring news at your appt this week. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found REAL research that puts your mind at ease :) Two days off from average sounds pretty good to me (and remember I have a fake RE degree!). Taht's a HUGE range, though, of that 90% (I'm guessing that's because they used LMP, not conception to determine dates?).

    Repeat after me: It will be okay. It will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gwinne, Yep, it was LMP, which leaves a bit of variation around when ovulation actually occurred. But it sounds like there can also be a lot of variation in the time of implantation, and that can set a fetus ahead or behind by a few days too. Interesting stuff, all this reproductive biology. - InB

    ReplyDelete
  6. There can be much variation and everything that you've found should keep reinforcing for you that everything is well within normal range.

    Hang in there. I know how much the doubt/waiting/anxiety plays with your head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad Dr. Google. There's a reason people go to medical school to get MDs, I guess, right?

    Hooray for scholarly articles, and people who can read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! For real scholarship! You will absolutely NOT be diagnosed with a m/c on Saturday! Everything was going fine at your last scan! But I am happy you will get to see for yourself again, on Saturday. I hope everything keeps going as well as it seems to be so far.

    I, too, am freaking out here about my upcoming scan on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two day is much better than a week. I, myself, am usually a day or two behind in my life. Impossible to stop freaking but arming yourself with knowledge is a good thing. Sending you healthy crown-rump thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicholas -- what's your email address? I'll send you a PDF of the article. - inB

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you!
    nickbfishn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. any chance I could still see that article ;)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My bubs was measuring big (62mm at 11+5).
    I'd be interested to see that too if you're still checking here!
    andreaforrest@hotmail.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete