Dh is in a frantic mode getting ready to leave on Thursday. He has to organize a lot of things and take a lot of equipment with him, finish up lots of stuff before he leaves, etc. The man is wonderful, but he's pretty high stress. So this is a high-stress time with lots of cursing. I'm pretty used to it and know what to expect.
That said, I knew it was a big deal for him to take the time to go with me to the doctor's today.
I had made an apt with a new ob since the place I went to before was wrought with bad miscarriage memories, and to be a bit on the snobby side, was a bit grungy. The new place is in a city over from where I live but the doctors deliver at the hospital near my house. The other city is pretty fancy with lots of rich people, so I had a guess that this was going to be a really nice place. And that it was. Shiny and new and filled with nice customer service.
How strange that two doctors offices within the same insurance network can be so freaking different. And depressing for that matter, but that is an entirely different topic...
We met with the nurse practitioner today, and she was great. We talked a lot about prenatal testing, health history, lifestyle, etc. I felt pretty bad when she asked me what I had for dinner last night and I couldn't remember. Well, I remembered a little later that I'd eaten a snickers bar and then a handful of crackers, but I did not share the snickers bar part. I have been eating really well lately until yesterday! At least I had eaten a wonderful breakfast that she gave a thumbs up to.
And then we went to do a sonogram.
Now you know you are an infertile when you are expecting to have to undress from the waist down for a sonogram. I kept wondering why she had me lay on the table fully dressed.
And then she went to untie my wrap-around skirt and it dawned on met that I was going to have my first belly ultrasound!!! It was SO nice not to have to get naked. And given that I'm in the progesterone suppository phase, I was a little concerned about the gross factor (and the fact that dh was seated with a perfect view of the crotch area).
She puts the jelly stuff on my belly and dh gets up to get a better view. And there it was!!! The giant gummy bear!!! Dh was so cute, he was smiling and totally freaked over how it was swinging its arms around like it was playing some batting game like my kitty does. I couldn't see the heart beat from where my head was, but dh could and the nurse said everything looked great.
And after I asked, she said that the miscarriage rate at this point is around 8%.
We walked out and dh said, "well, it's really starting to look like we might have a baby!"
And I kind of feel like that too right now. Maybe, just maybe this really is going to work.
The baby has its first test soon though, as we decided to do the CVS test. I had nightmares about it all last night, but hopefully those will go away (yea, right). I need to call to make that appointment....
love, inB
Oh, how wonderful!!! I am so glad that your husband got to see it, too!
ReplyDelete8% seems high... where is she getting that? I thought it was all like 'less than 5%' once you even just saw a heartbeat! These numbers seem so random, somehow.
I hear you on the nightmares... it will be so good to just be feeling kicks, and not to have to worry that things have gone awry all the time. For some reason a future fetal demise seems less scary to me than the thought that shit has already gone down in there.
Hey, that's great! I didn't get a belly u/s until 12 weeks. No...actually it might have been 17!
ReplyDeleteHooray! That's such super news ... one day at a time. :)
ReplyDeleteVery sweet post...made me smile.
ReplyDeleteWoot! Yay, little gummy bear!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that all is going well with your little gummy bear. wishing you the best of luck with the CVS test.
ReplyDeleteYay! Isn't the moving part super duper cool??
ReplyDelete(I still do the wand sonograms at my OB, btw. I'm jealous!!)
I'll keep you posted about CVS test stuff. Genetic counselor appt tomorrow and test Thurs. I'm seriously holding my breath until then.
Yay super Yay!! You graduated to the belly ultrasound! Good for you :-)
ReplyDeleteI responded to your question on the pants on my blog, but the short answer is that they are Motherhood brand. I can look at the tag if you want more info, let me know. I'm not wearing them today (good old drawstring pants back in circulation).
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog a couple of weeks ago. I have had 3 miscarriages in the last year and after investigation with a miscarriage specialist a recent HSG has found as the specialist suspected, a wonky uterus (diagnosis still TBC until I have a follow up appointment at the end of the month). Congratulations on your pregnancy, totally know the numb place in your mind you are talking about but hopefully you'll soon be able to relax and enjoy, you deserve to. All the best, Elizabeth
ReplyDelete