The hyperthyroidism is something you can totally keep in check with medication, if they decide to go that way. And pregnancy will often alter your thyroid hormone balance ... it's possible that it will return to normal after pregnancy (or, like mine, get more pronounced, which isn't the end of the world, either).
The diabetes, well ... that's useful to know anyway, because it will help you to eat more healthily and more thoughtfully ... which is good for you AND the baby!
If nothing else, pregnancy makes you take care of yourself, as this little life grows inside you. And goodness knows most of us could use a few reminders to do that!
Yikes! Scary! I hope your doctor has excellent patient-conversational skills and can tell you exactly what your options are for maintaining healthy equilibrium here. I guess no more ice cream :(
I'm with Justine -- I came back with borderline hypothyroidism in Feb and freaked out, but it's easily controlled with drugs. And pregnancy makes stuff all wonky anyway, so hard to know what will happen post-baby.
On the diabetes thing? I've worked with my Boy to lower his cholesterol and glucose levels, and the eating modifications aren't really that huge. It cuts down on dessert, but otherwise? Not so much. But I am sorry you have to deal with this. These are all scary when you are trying to gestate a healthy baby.
((Hugs)). Sorry, hon. Not wonderful news but nothing you can't handle - both are manageable and you are a very resourceful and educated mommy! Love, Maddy
The hyperthyroidism is something you can totally keep in check with medication, if they decide to go that way. And pregnancy will often alter your thyroid hormone balance ... it's possible that it will return to normal after pregnancy (or, like mine, get more pronounced, which isn't the end of the world, either).
ReplyDeleteThe diabetes, well ... that's useful to know anyway, because it will help you to eat more healthily and more thoughtfully ... which is good for you AND the baby!
If nothing else, pregnancy makes you take care of yourself, as this little life grows inside you. And goodness knows most of us could use a few reminders to do that!
Yikes! Scary! I hope your doctor has excellent patient-conversational skills and can tell you exactly what your options are for maintaining healthy equilibrium here. I guess no more ice cream :(
ReplyDeleteI'm with Justine -- I came back with borderline hypothyroidism in Feb and freaked out, but it's easily controlled with drugs. And pregnancy makes stuff all wonky anyway, so hard to know what will happen post-baby.
ReplyDeleteOn the diabetes thing? I've worked with my Boy to lower his cholesterol and glucose levels, and the eating modifications aren't really that huge. It cuts down on dessert, but otherwise? Not so much. But I am sorry you have to deal with this. These are all scary when you are trying to gestate a healthy baby.
Well....borderline is better than being OVER the line. Remember to take care of YOU.
ReplyDelete((Hugs)). Sorry, hon. Not wonderful news but nothing you can't handle - both are manageable and you are a very resourceful and educated mommy!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Maddy