Sunday, August 15, 2010

the politics of love

I figured it might be a good idea, or at least a little diversion from my pregnancy obsession,to write a little more about my relationship with dh. 

I always say that politics always get complicated as soon as there is more than one person in the room. And this definitely applies to marriage.

Some of the things I have learned about keeping good politics with dh over the years:

1) This man really doesn't intuit the needs of others.  Subtle or even overt clues don't work. I must be very explicit and to the point. And if I bring up a request with a happy tone, he just about always comes through.

2) Angry gets me nowhere, so I have to calmly explain how something makes me feel in order to communicate the message (and I always do this with, "I am sure that you don't mean it this way, but from my perspective, when you do X it makes me feel like Y.")

3) My husband is not socially adept enough to insult me with the back-handed double-meaning comments that my mom does (so, at his request, I stopped attributing this skill set to him)

4) I knew what he was like before I married him. His first and long-term love is his work. I try to remind myself how much he has changed rather than focusing on when he isn't perfect (except for last night, which was particularly annoying).

I'll share a funny little story with you that demonstrates in an amusing way our different personalities.

I am kind of insecure and want him to reiterate why he loves me, and that he still does. Remember, he doesn't intuit that I need this. So I brought it up a long time ago with in the general sense of "could you compliment me more," to which he responded that I know he thinks I am beautiful because he told me so several years ago.... oof. 

Clearly I needed to take a different tactic. So, a year or so ago, when we are laying in bed at night about to go to sleep, I started asking him what he loved most about me that day. I had originally envisioned something like, "When you made that really witty comment in the faculty meeting, you looked so beautiful and sexy that I wanted to take you then and there."

Well, to show you how incredibly different men's brains can work from women's brains, the answers are always more a point of amusement than compliments.

The other day he answered with, "I love how reliable you are."

Reliable. Yep, that's what I got, and that kind of practical stuff is what I get every night.  Cracks me up to no end.

But I guess if that's what he loves about me, then that's what he loves about me.  Which on second thought, is much more reassuring than if it were just my looks, since those won't last...  

3 comments:

  1. Funny!!! You guys work in the same department? How is that? I always wondered about how it was for those couples (there are, of course, a LOT of them, what with spousal hiring and all). It's like department politics PLUS marriage politics. And as an aside, I TOTALLY sometimes wish that E was a driven biologist (he isn't an academic at all actually), so I could get me some sweet spousal hiring... as I clearly am not job-oriented enough to get myself hired! My former lab mate who I was in somewhat competition with at the time just started dating a hotshot in the field, and I'm like, "bitch!" ha ha ha... :)

    Anyways, I get you on most of this stuff. And sometimes I don't know what's wrong with ME. Evidence abounds that E clearly loves me to distraction, but I find myself getting all hormonally pouty if he doesn't say so often enough or something like that. I think it is especially so while pregnant. I mean, it would be hard to have any relationship leverage in a conflict at this point-- we're especially vulnerable. What are we going to do?? Walk out? Cheat? Not likely! Not that I EVER EVER would anyways, or even think about doing so, I love E dearly, but the fact is, we're trapped here for the moment so we better be hearing some "I love you"s and some "You're beautiful"s on a daily basis!! Or so our hormones are telling us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your husband an engineer? Because mine is, and he could fit all of your points except number 4! And impressive ... how do you manage to work together? In academia no less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea, same department is definitely amusing but exhausting sometimes. I do get really tired of always talking dept politics AND discipline politics... we are both biologists and I left a really good tenure track job for an equally good tenure track (now tenured) job at the University where Dh is after he got an offer from a university close to where I was. So, I'm technically a spousal hire, but I so hate that label. And, for that matter, the second class citizenry that does come with the reality of it. Oof.

    ReplyDelete