Wednesday, August 11, 2010

adventures with progesterone

Some of you may remember that I had a crisis with my progesterone IM injections a while back.  I figured out a way to make them tolerable, but it was always fairly painful.  So I am extremely grateful that I got to stop those once I hit the 9 week mark.

My butt is no longer sore, and all those hard nodules that formed are starting to go away.  This makes me happy.

Now I'm on the suppositories.  They make me wonder who in the world came up with the idea of pushing little pills up into one's nether regions.  I mean seriously.  The dilemma with them is as follows:

1) it's a big pill and that means that lots of stuff has to exit at some point, in a big gooey mess (sorry to be graphic here).  It is just plain gross and I'm very grateful for panty liners.  (Luckily the pills I got this time are yellow, so that constant "oh my god is it blood?" you get with the pink ones isn't there.  And on that note, what smart ass would make a pink vaginal suppository for a woman trying to get pregnant?  It looks like it is tinged with blood!!!  I mean really? Can you say "clueless"?)

2) I take them three times a day.  Morning is easy, night is easy.  The middle of the day is a little more complicated.  For example, the other day when I was flying home I needed to take my dose while in the airport public restroom.  Silly me managed to tilt my big bottle of progesterone pills a little too far in one direction while juggling the change in panty liners and all my carry-on luggage, which meant pills went bouncing all over the freaking bathroom.  I wondered if there was another IF in there who would know what they were and laugh... that was the only redeeming part of the experience, thinking that I might have made an IF sister feel less alone and amused at my folly.

But you know what?  I feel so incredibly lucky to get to be doing this.  It just goes to show how unfair life is that I got to be one of the lucky ones this summer.  I don't deserve it, and my IF journey so far has been so much shorter than so many others of you.  Believe me, I remember that every single minute of the day.

4 comments:

  1. Yes you do deserve it!!!!! And being pregnant after IF comes with it's own issues, so don't feel guilty about needing continued support either! (I know I do feel guilty about it too, but I try to fight it-- I do need support still, damn it! So there.)

    The progesterone incident was too funny. I hope there was a fellow infertile in there, but in reality people probably just thought you were a morphine junkie... he he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *grin* The whole thing is pretty comical, isn't it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOO ready to be done with the mess of the suppositories (and yes, I still hate that word).

    I checked with both the pharmacy and my RE -- they told me you don't actually have to space them out equally throughout the day; that is to say you could stick one in the morning, when you got home from work and again 2 hours later before bed. (Or in my case, 10 minutes after I get home, since I am so tired I can barely move).

    I think its funny that yours are colored. Why would anyone think that is a good idea? Mine are white, which is how I can inspect them for any spotting VERY closely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a message!

    I am pretty certain that I have a septum even though it might be partial considering that from what I understand the HSG is not the most accurate to determine uterine abnormalities. Also from what I gather that even partial septums are detrimental to pregnancies particularly if that's where the embryos want to implant every time. My MC were at 7 weeks (missed, scan found no heartbeat at 9 weeks and 7 wk growth), 5 weeks and 8 weeks. With my last pregnancy we did a scan at 7 weeks and the heartbeat was really low so we prepared for the worst and I miscarried naturally the following week.

    I feel really confident though that once I have the septum resected we'll be joining the ranks of success stories like yours. Unfortunately because I am going through the NHS here in London everything is a little slow. My follow up appointment with the specialist is in a couple of weeks so hopefully I'll know if and/ or when the resection would be after that. Good luck with your suppositories I had to take one up the bum for the HSG last week and it was not fun. But, better than needles no?

    ReplyDelete