Eight weeks left. Two months. Is this a long time or a short time?
Long, if you take my due date as an absolute or assume little M will come late. Short, if you are realistic and recognize that many babies are born a couple weeks early.
I'm not sure how to deal with the nebulous deadline. I am so used to absolute deadlines: grant proposal due on July 1st, two weeks to revise a manuscript, class at 2pm, exam on December 12th, a flight that leaves in 10 days, etc. This is kind of a new one for me, and continues on the theme that all of this infertility/fertility stuff follows: YOU HAVE NO CONTROL.
I rarely procrastinate in my professional life, although things are definitely prioritize by deadlines. I hate "running through airports" as the panic feeling makes me nauseous.
So this one is hard. I am hesitant to do too much right now because it feels too early (and presumptuous, because of course I have not entirely shaken the IF mentality of this not being for-real). Must shake that stupid mental approach. It could really backfire on me.
I won't panic, but in all honesty, I think I will do some serious baby shopping this weekend before it really freaks me out that I don't have blankets or shirts for little M to wear... or even a car seat to bring her home in.
Um, yeah... probably time to shop! :)
ReplyDeleteMy dental hygienist told me that he and his wife didn't have anything ready, then their daughter came early and they had to stop by Sears on their way home from the hospital! How funny is that? At least it makes a good story...
Wow, time has really flown! So excited for you and hoping the next 8wks go by smoothly. Enjoy shopping and nesting a bit...it will be time before you know it:)
ReplyDeleteIncredible! (And actually, it is Jewish tradition not to buy anything until the baby is born ... so you're not the only one who would come home to a less-prepared house! I have good friends who had only a car seat ready. That's not to say that you should take a deep breath and allow yourself to believe that this is really likely to happen, though, and get a few things for M, and for you.)
ReplyDeleteI just did my pre-admit at the hospital this morning and now my doctor's appts are down from every four weeks to three weeks and we still only have a crib.
ReplyDeleteThank God my baby shower is Feb. 12th, otherwise this poor kid would have NOTHING!
I'm with you though - I'm so scared to pull the trigger on baby stuff because I can't bear the thought of having to take it all back. Just in case this is all a cosmic joke.