My best friend here who has two girls (the first and ivf baby, so she totally gets it) went with me shopping yesterday. We went to a kind of fancy baby store and BabiesRus, and talked for like 5 hours. Things I am grateful for from the day:
1. I now have a nursung bra & pads, baby bath & grooming supplies, some diapers, several sets of things for Little M to sleep in, lots of burp cloths and swaddling blankets, baby thermometer, Moby wrap to carry her around in, and some other misc things. I even got a start on learning about car seats and strollers, and decided to go with an infant car seat (though I need to take Dh with me to finalize the decisions on this, as he said he doesn't really care about a lot of the details of baby gear but does want to help choose the car seat & stroller).
2. I came home and unpacked everything, washed two loads of baby laundry for the first time ever -- exciting! Realized that the baby monitor didn't have all the necessary part so will have to take that back. And through all of this, refined my list of things I still need to get. I am feeling much better, although there is still LOTS to do...
3. My friend had a hard time remembering details of her two births, and would spontaneously remember things as we hung out. What I took away from everything she said is that in the end, the baby in your arms and the subsequent years diminishes the importance of the birth details. So, don't sweat it too much. No matter what happens, if all three of us make it home from the hospital intact then everything went really really well.
silly question -- would you recommend, or did you, or are you taking something of your own to wear during the birth?
Wow, you definately got a lot accoplished, that was be such a load off! I know nothing personally about what to wear in the hospital, but I hear of a bunch of mothers bringing their own gowns and loving them...especially if your big on pictures and want to have something a bit nicer than the hospital gown on in them. But that all might not matter to you, it really comes down to being comfortable and easily accessible for BF'ing, if your going to BF.
ReplyDeleteYay for baby laundry!!!!
Glad to hear it was a successful outing and you had fun shopping for baby, everyone deserves those happy memories!
ReplyDeleteI've had my eye on these:
ReplyDeletehttp://annieandisabel.blogspot.com/
Hooray! Moving forward ...
ReplyDeleteI didn't bring anything of my own the first time, and don't plan to this time, either. As much as hospital gowns are not glamorous, neither is birth. I did bring a robe to wear because I was perpetually cold, but that's just me.
And your friend is right: the most important thing is getting a live baby out of this experience ... the rest of it is just details.
Ditto what Justine said- exactly except the robe part. I'm glad I didn't bring anything it's messy at times.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! I'm definitely taking an experienced mom (but one who still has young children) to pick out what I need/register when the time comes. Sounds like an excellent day! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteI plan on bringing my own clothes but I don't plan on wearing them again. Perhaps a short black nightgown for the actual birth and then some cute pj's for afterwards. I don't know about you but new, clean clothes always make me feel better.
ReplyDelete