Thursday, February 24, 2011

Quick question -- need some advice

Ok, this is probably a minor thing but it has my focus right now so I can't get it out of my head.

I ordered a glider that I love back in early January.  It was supposed to be delivered early to mid february but I just found out that the earliest it will arrive is mid to late March. 

I can cancel the order, but it will be hard at this point to find a new chair I like that I don't have to order, that I can just bring home with me.

If I wait to get the chair I already ordered, that means that the nursery isn't finished and I won't have a good place to nurse until 2-4 weeks after little M is born.

What would you do -- just wait for the chair or go find something else?  For those of you with newborns, do you find that having a nice place to nurse is really important at this stage?

Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. I have the old family rocking chair (the one I was rocked in as a baby!), not a glider. P loves to be rocked by her daddy in it, but I haven't even ATTEMPTED to breastfeed in it. We're getting more confident in our latch, but I still can't imagine trying to arrange everything in a moving chair! Instead, I have requisitioned the entire couch, and made a pillow fortress/nest to support P while she feeds. I imagine it will be easier to nurse in the rocking chair once she's big enough to be supported by just one pillow (we are currently using SEVEN pillows).

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CraigsList... find a used one cheap... use it until the one you ordered comes in... then sell it again on CraigsList.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get one - immediately. I slept in mine, for weeks. I am very, very well endowed so it was weeks before I could figure out how to nurse laying down. I spent ALL my time in my rocker from the day I brought her home. I second the cheap one on craigslist idea - you can always resell it a few weeks later. I also HIGHLY recommend getting a my brest friend (cheesy - I know) pillow http://www.mybrestfriend.com/ - they are way, way better than a boppy pillow and work fantastic in a rocking chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the cheap purchase idea, but truthfully I would probably use the sofa or bed and a hundred pillows until the favourite one comes. Thinking of you lots these days.
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get one! I agree. I didn't have one, and when she was 3 days old, mom and I went to a store and bought one. I almost lived in it - breastfed in it, slept in it, rocked her. It was sooooo nice to have a great comfortable place for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do have a glider, but I only use it at night, sometimes, when I can't see what I'm doing and am able to drag myself out of bed ... during the day, I'm downstairs, and I use a My Brest Friend nursing pillow, which sounds ridiculous, but is the best nursing gear investment you'll make. I've given them for every shower I've attended since my first child, and all of the moms agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the couch with my first because we don't have a lot of room and money. I ended up nursing for 19 months. This time I have a glider that I am making room for even if it cramps the house.

    I don't think it is essential right away,although I totally agree with Justine on the nursing pillow. I had a boppy that I loved. But if you really ,liked the one you picked I would wait for it.

    Good luck! Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nursed my twins for 4 weeks and never in the nursery. I was on the sofa, loveseat, bed, etc. The babies didn't sleep in the nursery until they were about 2 months old so I didn't spend a lot of time in there. I don't know if it would have been different if I only had one baby though. I will say a breast feeding pillow is huge - I also used a My Breast Friend twins pillow. I would say wait it out unless you can find the same chair you like somewhere else sooner. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you can make it 2-4 weeks without the special chair, but I do suggest getting a good nursing pillow to support you and the bebe when nursing. I also have the My Brest Friend pillow, and really like that it supports your back as well as the bebe. In the first few weeks I nursed wherever, on the couch, in the glider, etc, so I think it will be fine to wait a few weeks for the glider you really want.

    ReplyDelete