Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The work problem

I'm freaking out because my due date is less than 2 weeks away and I have no good solution for getting any work done at home.  I need my set-up to be nice so that it is "easy" to work for a few minutes here and there.

I knew that I should get a new laptop about a month or so ago but just couldn't bring myself to act on it.  I also knew that I needed some kind of desk situation at home too, but again, couldn't bring myself to act on it.

So here I sit, freaking out and needing almost an instantaneous solution.  I found a nice desk on-line that is perfect for the little corner in our house where it will go, but the shipping costs were about the same as the cost of the desk.  I just can't bring myself to pay that much.

And I was going to buy an in-stock laptop from the campus store but they only have crappy ones that are pretty slow.  And slowness is the really big reason I can't tolerate my 5 year old laptop that I used to adore.

Thank heavens for Amazon.com.  I just ordered a laptop that will do and it should be delivered tomorrow by fed ex.  Why did it take me 2 days of angst before I remembered that Amazon sells computers?

I even ordered the Office software package from Amazon because I don't have the time or patience to deal with ordering a site license through my university.  They can take 3-4 weeks to get you a code.

But I still have the desk problem.

And this bothers me SO much right now because I am SO freaking uncomfortable and just really want to have this baby.  I can't find the emotional energy to deal with any of the urgent things at work that have to happen, although I absolutely have no choice for some things that I need to do TODAY.

I don't want to go home even though I am exhausted and having a hard time keeping my eyes open because I just get antsy at home, thinking about how uncomfortable I am and how I don't have a way to do any work from home.

Weh weh!!!  I am such a big baby today. 

And speaking of babies, the glider I ordered on Jan 3rd from P*tt*y Barn for little M's room STILL isn't here.  4-6 weeks estimated deliver, but now its week 7.  Given my condition and lack of patience, that is just not acceptable.  Weh weh weh!!!

I am trying hard to laugh at myself, otherwise I will lose my mind.

4 comments:

  1. :)

    This made me smile. I've been ordering stuff from Amazon pretty continuously since P got here. It's amazing all the little adjustments you need to make in what works and what doesn't. horray for their quick shipping!

    I can't imagine there's any rush on that desk-- you will probably be ensconced on the couch typing with one hand (as i am doing now) for a few weeks at least! ...and i think amazon sells desks, too !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. Ditto what Lesley said on work. And why would you think you have any time to do that once little one get here? Do you have to. If not, don't, just enjoy your time. It truly does go fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man do I get this, and I wasn't even at 38 weeks!
    I finally melted down about the desk and demanded that we order something from crate andbarrel one night before we went to bed. I pretty much held the boy hostage until it was decided and done.

    That said, I'm almost never in front of the machine -- now is a very rare exception! I agree with N -- try to unplug to the extent possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! I remember the feeling well. And I say ditto on the desk. Your not likely to get to sit at it for a while?

    Is there a reason you will have to work? Did they not replace you for your mat. leave period? Good luck - and don't worry. Work will not seem overly important really soon.

    ReplyDelete