Saturday, February 19, 2011

I am not a pleasant person these days.

I think the constant discomfort is starting to get to me as I have absolutely NO patience these days.  I keep trying to pretend like I do but I'm losing the battle.  I don't like being like this as I am usually able to laugh minor things off (especially as it related to Dh's "quirks").  Dh is being nice about it, but who knows how long before he snaps. 

Little M moves a lot, which I love because then I know she's ok.  But I think she has really long finger nails because it sometimes feels like she's clawing at my insides.  Other times it feels like she's tugging on the umbilical cord.  Do they do those things?  Either one seems like a bad idea...

Almost every time she moves she runs into my skeleton, which doesn't necessarily hurt but it sure is uncomfortable.  The best way to sit is arched back so that she gets as much room as I can give her but she still sometimes seems to use all of her might to push against my abdomen to stretch it out a little more.  Gotta love her determination not to let my body parts get in her way, I suppose.

My pubic symphysis is coming apart and I can totally feel it.  The relaxin hormone is eating away at the cartilage that holds my pubic bones together.  This is a good thing for the labor and deliver thing, but it really does hurt to feel your pubic bones crunch against each other.

Couple the public symphysis thing with what I am starting to think are braxton-hicks contractions... I get bad menstrual cramp achy sometimes, and when I stand up it feels like round-ligament pain again.  I think those might be little practice contractions. 

My new mantra is to go with it, enjoy all of this.  She'll be here soon and the wonders of pregnancy will be a distant memory.  Or if something horrible happens, this is my motherhood and I'd hate to have wished it all away because of discomfort. 

I am good.  I am ok.  I am definitely happy and maybe I can figure out a way to be a little patient too...  my ob said my cervix is soft and definitely thinning, but not dilated.  If she had to guess she thinks I may deliver between 39 and 40 weeks, but that's totally a guess.  It is so weird to think that my body is doing things to get ready to deliver this baby and I am not even aware of it and have no control over it. 

Enjoy every moment... enjoy every moment.  I can do this and maybe even come out of it with a husband who still likes me.  :)

7 comments:

  1. The fingernails and ill temper don't sound too great, but the progression towards labor sure does! Why didn't my body do ANY of those things??? I'll always wonder... No dropping, no pelvis stretching, no dilation, no effacement, no BH's!!! OK, now I am doing my own rant in your comment space. Maybe not the best idea with a grouchy pregnant lady :)

    I hope you find some comfortable positions to sleep in, and perhaps you should consider the european standard of a small glass of wine at the end of the day... the doctors over there say that the beneficial effects of the mother relaxing outweigh any negative effects of that small amount of alcohol... It's a thought!! I would have done it myself, except I am more of a 4-glasses-of-wine type of girl; once glass seemed pointless!!! :)

    Anyways, I commiserate, and I hope it at least isn't hot out where you are right now! (raining down here, so maybe up there too?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do this.. Can't wait for you to meet Little M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a good cry on Dh's shoulder and just consumed an entire pint of ben & jerry's dolce delish ice cream. Not one of my prouder moments, but I definitely feel a bit better...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. Pregnancy is hard, particularly the end. I'm totally uncomfortable and am wishing I was closer to the end. But alas 8 or 9 more weeks. Good luck to you. Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're allowed to be grumpy, even as you're "enjoying every moment." ;) N. kept kicking me in the ribs, and I did NOT enjoy the ligament cramps in my groin ... ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are able to get at least small moments of peace and remember one day at a time. Sounds like the Ben & Jerry's was definitely a much needed therapeutic solution :)

    ReplyDelete